Rental Property Investor · White Plains, NY · Member since 2016 · 57 posts · 39 votes
I'd like to start looking for deals, but I'm facing a few problems: 1. I live in NYC, and I don't own a car. 2. Current Rent: $1,450/month 3. Potential Lowest Rent in White Plains, NY (where I work and would like to start living & looking for investment properties): $1,000/month 4. Recent graduate with great credit but minimal savings due to points 1&2.
I found a studio in a co-op that's 400 square feet which would suit me perfectly, and it would allow me to save money in terms of rent expense ($1,450/month would turn into $600/month all in), commuting expense (I would bike the 2 miles to work and back), and general cost of living from moving out of the city.
Without the time to get around in White Plains to find a multi-family househack or even a FSBO deal, wouldn't it make sense to buy the shares in this co-op to pay $600/month (includes mortgage, utilities, maintenance, HOA, everything besides wifi) instead of continuing to rent?
Is there another option that would be viable in my situation that I'm not seeing?