Rehab for increased rents, now refinance and/or re-zone?

Rehab for increased rents, now refinance and/or re-zone?

Investor · Wasilla, AK · Member since 2012 · 6 posts · 0 votes

I'm looking to get the most equity out of my property to reinvest and would like some input.  I bought a 1977 10-plex (only zoned for 8-plex) 2 years ago for $715k.  When I purchased the property, the current rents were really low for the area at $800 a unit.  I started rehabbing the units as the became vacant and then increased the rents to roughly $1150.  I increased rents on the non-rehabbed units  to $900-$950.  I'm looking to remodeling all of the units which would provide a higher rental income.  Is the annual income the main driver in refinancing based off of a new bank appraisal?  How difficult is the process for attempting to get the property rezoned for a 10-plex rather than a 8 unit max (R2M)?  How successful have people been in doing this and was it worth the money and time?  I'm guessing that this would make a significant difference for the appraised value during time of refinancing.  What would you do?

0Reply
11 views

No replies yet. Be the first to reply to this discussion.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.