Advice on attaining second property

Advice on attaining second property

Investor · Burlington, VT · Member since 2014 · 38 posts · 9 votes

I have an idea on how we might be able to acquire another duplex but would love some advice. Since I'm a newbie I'm not sure if this would work. Has anyone done something similar? 

We bought our first duplex. We are living in half and have the other unit on Airbnb (which is going really well!) 

We renovated the Airbnb unit ourselves and are currently renovating the unit we are living in, with hopes to eventually buy another property and rent out both.

 The duplex needs some work we need to hire out: a new roof ASAP, and we'd love to get new siding and new windows. We can at the moment pay cash for the roof and maybe the windows but I was wondering if this might be the better option: 

Take out a home equity loan or a Home Depot project loan and get all three done (roof, windows and siding) with the hopes that our house would then appraise for much higher so we could refinance with 20% equity and get rid of PMI. Then our mortgage payment would be lower but we would acquire a new payment for the home equity loan that would likely cancel it out. But would that open us up to then being able to buy another property and we'd still have our cash on hand for a down payment on an FHA loan. Is this a viable option? Would love any advice! Thanks.

0Reply
15 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Brandon, FL · Member since 2017 · 178 posts · 67 votes
    8y

    Dont over-leverage yourself. Ask your lender if it makes financial sense. 

  • New Orleans, LA · Member since 2013 · 47 posts · 36 votes
    8y
    I agree, don’t over leverage. How long have you had the duplex? Has the market risen? We househack a duplex. We were able to refinance out of FHA into conventional with 20% equity, 1.5 years after purchased. We did cosmetic updates, new kitchen, yard, etc. but we also had a rising market and improvement of neighborhood. Do you need to do all the improvements to raise the value? Can you cash flow them? I would be careful about taking on more debt. But it is possible to refinance, we are now looking for our second property.
  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    What is the total cost of the project: $20K I say pay cash.  20-50K then I will try to get a loan.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.