Best way to set up an LLC

Best way to set up an LLC

Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 1 vote
My wife and I are new to real estate. We have a home that we turned into a long term rental property. We are planning on buying more homes in the same city in the future. Should we set up an LLC for each property, or just one big LLC for all the properties? TIA.
0Reply
19 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Portland, OR · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Hello Jake,

    I am not a lawyer, so I am not qualified to tell you what to do in regards to protecting yourself from liability, but I can share with you what I do.

    I like to keep rentals in their own LLC's as I think they are the most likely to draw a lawsuit. I understand that there is always a risk of being sued, but I do not want to expose multiple properties to one potential lawsuit. I also think that using an abundance of caution could potentially discourage someone who is looking around for a good candidate to sue.

    Another big factor is probably the size of your operation/ investments. My portfolio is pretty small, so we are talking about a few extra LLC's for me. I imagine the big players do not keep single residential units in their own LLC's, but that is just speculation on my part.

    Erik 

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    Hi Erik, Thank you for the reply. That make a lot of sense. My portfolio is small as well, but I definitely want to protect each of my investments separately. I will plan on making a separate LLC for each property. Thanks again for you help.
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    It seems some investors set up an LLC for each property. Our lawyer suggested grouping them by size so as to not have properties if disparate sizes in the same LLC. Make sure you carry ample liability insurance too and keep your personal stuff completely separate.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.