Best scratch proof vinyl flooring

Best scratch proof vinyl flooring

Denver CO · Member since 2015 · 69 posts · 9 votes

So I have pergo outlast in one of my rentals and I love it with the exception of how loud it is. Enter my curiosity on luxury vinyl plank.

Now in browsing some of the luxury vinyl planks it appears that although they are 100% waterproof they scratch very easy

Do you guys have a brand you recommend? Would like something that looks nice but is very resistant to scratching

Thanks!

1Reply
58 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 2 votes
6y

I use allure which have a 25 year guaranty if you send in the card and they will replace it. They did it for me two times. Now I had to put it in but I did not have to pay for new flooring. Hope this helps.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Mike M. I just use the stuff from the big box stores, but I try to get designs that are a bit weathered so that they can hide scratches easily. The stuff I am currently using is the vinyl allure in Khaki Oak from home depot. I have used it in about 20 apartments now in Berwyn and Cicero, and it has held up well to the normal tenant usage. 

    My guess with any of this stuff is that it will wear out in 7-10 years and need to be replaced. At the end of the day, flooring just doesn't last for 20 years unless you are putting in hard wood or ceramic tile. 

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    I use allure which have a 25 year guaranty if you send in the card and they will replace it. They did it for me two times. Now I had to put it in but I did not have to pay for new flooring. Hope this helps.

  • South Bend, IN · Member since 2015 · 180 posts · 93 votes
    6y

    @John Warren Are you using the click lock or stick down Allure?

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Aaron Linden I have done both and am currently using the grip strip stuff. It has held up ok so far (been using it for about 4 years). I have used this same stuff in my South Bend buildings coincidentally!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · South Bend, IN · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @John Warren I use a product from the Source Company in Mishawaka.  I recently switched to there from the box stores (I've tried all of the vinyl planks at Lowe's and Home Depot).

    The product itself is a 12mil wear level which is fantastic, double what you might find at box stores. Also there's no need for underlayment as it has a thick rubber backing on the back.

    It's 2.15/ft but I have found it's worth it bc of wear level and no underlayment purchase needed.  It also looks much nicer as its 7" wide x 48" L.  

    Not trying to sell you, but I've recently switched and I'm happy about it.

    Good luck!

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Niel Kluszczynski good stuff. I will check it out some time. Part of the reason I have gone with the vinyl allure is simplicity as I have just about all my materials from Home Depot picked out at this point. The pro desk there really makes it easy to coordinate pick ups with my guys!

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    6y

    Main thing: get something with random texture and a random pattern, or something with a color that's easy to put down a scratch hide pen on. And the lighter the floor, the less scratches will show up. Same thing with gloss - the lower the gloss, the less scratches will show up. Use the appropriate floor for the appropriate room - non-waterproof is generally fine for bedrooms and hallways, and maybe even living rooms, but not for kitchens, bathrooms or laundry rooms. 

    So far I have had good luck with 75 cent cheapo Home Depot German-made laminate and 4 dollar waterproof vinyl with backer already installed, and everything in between, by following this method. I have a Pergo semi-waterproof floor that I had installed in one of my renos and I scratched the floor myself before I even got a renter in by sliding something I didn't realize had a nail sticking out of it. Put a good 4 inch long scratch in it. I got some color-matching stain, and when I was done I could not find the scratch even though I knew the general area where it was, because the floor has texture and a pattern. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • South Bend, IN · Member since 2015 · 180 posts · 93 votes
    6y

    @John Warren I typically use the click lock for the warrantee and ease of install but man is it expensive compared to the stick down stuff. Plus I think its easier to remove a plank if needed with the stick down stuff so Ill check it out. Thanks!


    @Niel Kluszczynski Thanks for the tip. I've heard quite a few people in town go to this place for flooring. A 12 mil wear layer is legit.

    @JD Martin I did the same thing a couple years ago. Laid down Allure Ultra in a darker color, ran a light desk with rollers on it over the flooring and scratched it all up. Luckily I was able to get it touched up with a heat gun as it was only scratched on the top clear layer that goes over the color. 

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 930 posts · 836 votes
    6y

    How much are you paying/sqft for your vinyl plank?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.