Rental Property Investor · Clarkston, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y
Hi Azeez, My experience with the local REIAs notably GA REIA and their Deal Makers email list that provides this type of help near real time. I've gotten most of my contractors from other investors in the Atlanta area who are members. I've collected a large list of contractors as a result of this email list.
I feel an investor needs great help like here on BP but also to be grounded with local face to face time with other local investors. I'm a member of all the local REIAs. Unfortunately only one REIA has the means to help with your need in real time via their email list.
For our out lying rehabs I'm having to advertise in craigslist and do email and phone screening. The first cut is that my ad asks that they reply with their cost for doing the task I need done. IE Install a new sterling plastic tub and wrap around and valve for example which should cost no more than $350. $250 would be a great price. Folks who reply outside these bounds are crossed off as not knowing the market or their trade.
Rental Property Investor · Clarkston, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y
Hi Azeez, My experience with the local REIAs notably GA REIA and their Deal Makers email list that provides this type of help near real time. I've gotten most of my contractors from other investors in the Atlanta area who are members. I've collected a large list of contractors as a result of this email list.
I feel an investor needs great help like here on BP but also to be grounded with local face to face time with other local investors. I'm a member of all the local REIAs. Unfortunately only one REIA has the means to help with your need in real time via their email list.
For our out lying rehabs I'm having to advertise in craigslist and do email and phone screening. The first cut is that my ad asks that they reply with their cost for doing the task I need done. IE Install a new sterling plastic tub and wrap around and valve for example which should cost no more than $350. $250 would be a great price. Folks who reply outside these bounds are crossed off as not knowing the market or their trade.
Hope things are going well on your end. Glad to hear from you again and thanks for sharing the information with me. As always I have found your post very helpful.
So far I have only been to Atlanta REIA. I will certainly take a look at GAREIA and definitely plan on attending a meeting to get a feel for the same.
In addition, I feel the same way when it comes to meeting with local investors face-to-face and networking so far I have been networking one-on-one with fellow ATL investors and RE professionals. Speaking of which if you find yourself in Atlanta over the next couple weeks and have availability for coffee/lunch do hit me up as it would be good to meet w you in person and share notes.
I will also pursue the craigslist approach to finding individuals for on-going maintenance type services. Once again I appreciate your response. Hope you have a wonderful new years.
Real Estate Investor · Covington, GA · Member since 2013 · 6 posts · 0 votes
12y
I do a lot of rehab work in the Metro Atlanta area and have done over 2000 renovations since we started. If you would like to discuss some options or get pricing, feel free to call me at 678-834-4717. We are licensed and insured.
Rental Property Investor · Clarkston, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y
Hi Michael, Nice to have a service provider here. I have to report that the local REIAs are very short of service providers as members who pass out business cards and offer tips and helps.
Rental Property Investor · Clarkston, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y
Here's 2 handyman, skilled workers that I'm currently using on Atlanta area projects that I feel strongly enough about to recommend:
Foster - 404-399-7855 lives on the South side, but works the entire area. I had him down to Griffin for electrical, paint, plumbing work. He's a very good and reliable worker. Prefers to work long days after getting an agreed upon fixed price for the jobs. Weak in giving you bid. You should know what is a fair price, offer lower and negotiate the price. He's very fair priced. Then he'll work hard to complete faster which we all want. Fair price and work done fast.
Foster is not licensed nor insured if that maters.
David - 470-765-2105 - licensed HVAC, gives great HVAC prices and better yet is reliable. He will gladly do handyman work. Refinish floors, paint, move walls, all plumbing etc. Ask him about electrical work, I bet yes. David is a great guy and also reliable. Probably not insured.
Always know what a job should cost and always negotiate. Workers are expecting a counter offer, but it has to be a win win and you'll have the good workers wanting to come back to your projects. Write down the punch list and give them a copy with price. I've had both sides forget... Me too. Doh!