Newbie Brooklynite looking for first house-hack in Jersey City

Newbie Brooklynite looking for first house-hack in Jersey City

New to Real Estate · Brooklyn · Member since 2024 · 1 post · 2 votes

Hello Everyone. 

I am a new member of the forum (though a seasoned consumer of BP media of all sorts). I am currently in Brooklyn, looking to buy my first two-family house-hack in New Jersey with a low-down primary residence loan and live in it for a year or two before moving to the next. I already have an official approval letter and am working with an agent to find deals (I am going into this with my partner).  

My strategy with this is a buy-and-hold mixed with a little bit of BRRR -- I would renovate the unit I live in slowly and move on to the next before considering a refinance but this will all depend on how things play out. As an architect/designer I am confident I can make my units more desirable than the average listing in, say, Jersey City. I keep analyzing deals but I am realizing that none seem to cash-flow (starting in 2nd year considering I will be collecting only one unit's rent in the first).

If anyone has similar experience in this market, I would really appreciate your feedback. Is this not a beginner friendly market? We're considering being close to the light rail (that connects to NYC) to ensure appreciation and demand as people get priced out of the city.

Thank you for your time and looking forward to your thoughts! 

2Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y

HI @Ashkan Eslami fard Why Jersey City? When I first started house hacking in North Jersey, I need proximity to NYC. Initially most people jump at JC because of how close it is the down fall is numbers get very tough and the regulations are constantly changing making landlord tough. If you are need proximity to NYC and want higher ROI there are more desirable markets for this with way more relaxed laws as well.

Just got a new house hack under contract this week, property will cash flow and commute to city is easy. 

House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    You aren't going to cashflow in Jersey City. The rents vs. sale price do not make sense, sometimes at .5% to .7% rule. So when you house hack there you will definitely be net negative unless you have a 2 + 1 and can live in the +1 unit as an owner. There is A LOT of rental inventory right now in Jersey City. Low rent rentals will go, but higher rents have a lot of competition. There is a TON of development in Jersey City into duplex condos so you are really up against bigger outfits. Your skillset will help, but as an architect/designer you could also way overshoot your projections there because of the inventory.

  • Daniel VineisPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · north jersey · Member since 2018 · 49 posts · 45 votes
    1y

    Jersey city isn't great for cash flow way to competitive. Also just a heads up if you are using a fha loan and both you and your partner are on the loan even if they are just co signing he will have to live in the building as well. This only applies to multi family homes. So when your structuring that partnership just make sure all rolls and expectations are laid out and align with what your trying to do.

  • Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
    Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    HI @Ashkan Eslami fard Why Jersey City? When I first started house hacking in North Jersey, I need proximity to NYC. Initially most people jump at JC because of how close it is the down fall is numbers get very tough and the regulations are constantly changing making landlord tough. If you are need proximity to NYC and want higher ROI there are more desirable markets for this with way more relaxed laws as well.

    Just got a new house hack under contract this week, property will cash flow and commute to city is easy. 

    House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 1 vote
    1y
    Quote from @Shawn Mcenteer:

    HI @Ashkan Eslami fard Why Jersey City? When I first started house hacking in North Jersey, I need proximity to NYC. Initially most people jump at JC because of how close it is the down fall is numbers get very tough and the regulations are constantly changing making landlord tough. If you are need proximity to NYC and want higher ROI there are more desirable markets for this with way more relaxed laws as well.

    Just got a new house hack under contract this week, property will cash flow and commute to city is easy. 


     Hi Shawn,

    I'm in a super similar boat to Ashkan - looking for an owner-occupied small multi-family in close proximity to the city. What other markets do you recommend? I've looked at Weehawken and Union City, and they seem really nice with potential for cash flow. Would very much appreciate your thoughts!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.