Finally Diving In!

Finally Diving In!

New to Real Estate · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 2 votes

Hi all,

Pleasure to meet everyone.  I have been following BP in the community for years now but finally looking to take the plunge.  I am a 20 year veteran of the entertainment industry on the construction / project management side and have worked on attractions, parks, hospitality, etc. around the world.  I've also had a small digital marketing agency for a bit that I keep to a few select clients as I look to build out other opportunities (such as RE!).

Currently I am in Los Angeles but am also looking at opportunities around the Colorado Springs area. My business partner and family are centralized there, so I believe that offers a great opportunity to access multiple markets. We are currently discussing LTRs as single or multifamily, but open to exploring other opportunities as well. I would very much welcome any input, advice, and expertise in these locations and areas please!

I would be happy to trade my skillsets and resources with like minded colleagues and see how we can support each other with this growth. I very much believe that a rising tide lifts all ships, so happy to trade work for experience!

Looking forward to connecting! Please do not hesitate to reach out directly if I can support you in anyway.

Thank you,
Ian

1Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · Member since 2025 · 65 posts · 102 votes
    1y

    Hey, great to hear from you and welcome to the community here on Bigger Pockets.

    One of the important things when it comes to locations is making sure that you have an appropriate business entity to own your rental property as an investment. Owning rental properties in your personal name can subject you to liability from those properties; for example, if someone slips and falls on the property, that liability can reach your personal assets. We want to use LLCs that are set up in the state where the property is located to protect you and also to ensure that you can enforce rights in that state.


    Note: This information is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, financial, or investment advice. No attorney-client, fiduciary, or professional relationship is established through this communication.



  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    @Ian Schwartz welcome and great decision to "take the plunge". Colorado Springs won't get you much cashflow for LTRs unless you have a big down payment for single family homes. You would need a short term rental plan or be willing to wait on appreciation. The area is growing in terms of adding new jobs but the population growth has stagnated as of late. In the end, if the jobs aren't replacing other lost jobs the population growth should turn around. Having some local boots on the ground is definitely helpful. I wish you well in your investing journey.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.