How do I manage my STR remotely?

How do I manage my STR remotely?

Greg TeplanskyPro Member
Apple Valley, CA · Member since 2008 · 14 posts · 2 votes

So I am looking to get into my second short-term rental towards the end of this year. I closed on one last year but found I couldn't take advantage of the STR loophole because I was required to use professional managers in the resort development. I purchased him. I have a much better understanding of what I need to do however, I'm not sure I understand or know how I can legitimately manage the property remotely and be able to address issues that will pop up adequately on my own. I know there are third-party cohosting services that I can utilize however, how does that appear to the IRS when making the argument that I'm still managing the property, just with assistance? Of course I would be materially participating in meeting all day requirements. If you know of services out there like Vacasa or others of and can suggest, please do. Thank you all!

0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
1y

List on VRBO and Airbnb, get a great cleaning service to be your boots on the ground. Add a handyman and HVAC person to your team and it should be pretty easy from there.

Join a local FB group of STR owners to get recommendations from.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    1y

    List on VRBO and Airbnb, get a great cleaning service to be your boots on the ground. Add a handyman and HVAC person to your team and it should be pretty easy from there.

    Join a local FB group of STR owners to get recommendations from.

  • Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 710 posts · 640 votes
    1y

    managing remotely is a question that has been asked many times on here. if you search, you will find some great information. as has been mentioned, a great cleaner is #1 priority. Also, good handyman and then also get the phone #'s for emergency plumbers so that you have it on hand and dont have to search if/when a situation arises.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    what market are you in?  Some PM's (like myself) offer a full service and a limited option service.  Limited service offering can vary but you are splitting responsibilities leaving the possibility of REPS status as viable.  I have a lot of investors choosing this option.

    • Greg TeplanskyPro Member
      OP
      Apple Valley, CA · Member since 2008 · 14 posts · 2 votes
      1y

      @Andrew Steffens I'm in St George, UT at a resort development so the HOA requires we use one of their two "approved " pm's

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    Hey @Greg Teplansky, just do some searches on here for self management. Lots of info like @Trent Reeve mentioned.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.