What Makes a Mortgage Note a “No-Go” for You?

What Makes a Mortgage Note a “No-Go” for You?

Member since 2025 · 35 posts · 6 votes

I have my own red flags- I'm interested in buying notes if they meet some basic underwriting requirements. Even if it doesn’t, I may still be able to purchase it.

What are yours when reviewing a potential purchase?

1Reply
15 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Member since 2024 · 181 posts · 63 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Margaret Steck:

    I have my own red flags- I'm interested in buying notes if they meet some basic underwriting requirements. Even if it doesn’t, I may still be able to purchase it.

    What are yours when reviewing a potential purchase?

    1)  States that require a Note Holder to have a debt license (even with a servicer) and the state also has a long foreclosure timeline.  
    2)  If seller finance, ensuring the ATR is acquired at origination.
    3)  Rural Areas (as defined in our 14 Points that make a note valuable)

    We have a few more that we have talked about on our Notes Show. 

  • Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Margaret Steck:

    I have my own red flags- I'm interested in buying notes if they meet some basic underwriting requirements. Even if it doesn’t, I may still be able to purchase it.

    What are yours when reviewing a potential purchase?


     Low interest rate (ie. Less than 8%)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.