Newby looking for mentors in my area

Newby looking for mentors in my area

New to Real Estate · Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 3 votes

Hello everyone,

I've been a new avid listener of the podcast and recently decided to join the forum to further immerse myself in the real estate investing community. I'm currently in the early stages of exploring investment opportunities and evaluating the best path forward. Although I'm starting with modest capital, I'm considering forming an LLC and pursuing a buy-and-flip strategy to start, with the flexibility to either rent or sell based on market conditions and project outcomes.

To deepen my involvement and gain better access to opportunities, I'm also in the process of obtaining my real estate license. I'm particularly interested in connecting with experienced investors in the greater Milwaukee/Madison area who might be open to mentoring or offering guidance as I begin this journey.

A bit about me: I'm 39 years old and spent a few years working in the trades before transitioning into healthcare, where I've served as an ER Trauma nurse for the past 15 years. I've long aspired to build something of my own and am now taking steps toward that goal—seeking new beginnings and, ultimately, financial independence.

If you're local and willing to share your insights over coffee (or a drink—my treat!), I’d be incredibly grateful. Or those that aren't local, a phone chat would be great!

Looking forward to learning from this community, connecting with like-minded individuals, and contributing wherever I can.

Warm regards,

Justin

3Reply
67 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Member since 2025 · 483 posts · 270 votes
    10mo

    Justin, welcome—love the initiative. With modest capital, keep it simple: pick one lane for the first 90 days. I'd start with a tight buy box in B/C neighborhoods, analyze 5 to 10 on‑market deals a day, and make offers based on conservative ARV, rehab, and multiple exits so you can flip or rent. Don't let the LLC or license delay action—line up an investor‑friendly agent, a PM, a lender, and one GC, then pursue one project you can finish cleanly. In Milwaukee/Madison, verify rents and contractor capacity before you buy, stress‑test cash flow at higher rates, and protect your downside with clear scopes and inspection contingencies. When you're ready, post one live deal here with your numbers and I'll help tighten it.

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    10mo

    Thanks so much!  I will be looking at a property tomorrow that my friends dad is looking at selling.  If you don't mind ill follow up with you on numbers and see if it would be a good first start.  Much appreciated 🙏

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    10mo

    @Justin Paul

    hello and welcome.  i sent you a PM.

  • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo
    Quote from @Justin Paul:

    Hello everyone,

    I've been a new avid listener of the podcast and recently decided to join the forum to further immerse myself in the real estate investing community. I'm currently in the early stages of exploring investment opportunities and evaluating the best path forward. Although I'm starting with modest capital, I'm considering forming an LLC and pursuing a buy-and-flip strategy to start, with the flexibility to either rent or sell based on market conditions and project outcomes.

    To deepen my involvement and gain better access to opportunities, I'm also in the process of obtaining my real estate license. I'm particularly interested in connecting with experienced investors in the greater Milwaukee/Madison area who might be open to mentoring or offering guidance as I begin this journey.

    A bit about me: I'm 39 years old and spent a few years working in the trades before transitioning into healthcare, where I've served as an ER Trauma nurse for the past 15 years. I've long aspired to build something of my own and am now taking steps toward that goal—seeking new beginnings and, ultimately, financial independence.

    If you're local and willing to share your insights over coffee (or a drink—my treat!), I’d be incredibly grateful. Or those that aren't local, a phone chat would be great!

    Looking forward to learning from this community, connecting with like-minded individuals, and contributing wherever I can.

    Warm regards,

    Justin

    Welcome. On of my students is a Nurse Anesthesiologist. In his situation, he's buying in different markets to minimize exposure. He isn't doing flips, because it's more profitable to buy with creative financing and he wants the tax write offs.


Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.