I'm starting to search for a multifamily unit in Madison Wisconsin. My son lives there and will be living there for a minimum of another year and I'm hoping for him to find something and get moved in next summer so he can rent it to college students through the following year and then he would be able to get a loan where it's 3% down because he would live in one of the units with roommates and then he would also rent the other units out. Just starting the search, but any recommendations of where to begin would be great. He doesn't have cash so hoping to do it with the least amount out-of-pocket as possible, but I would be able to help him a little bit, but not a lot
Real Estate Agent · Madison, WI · Member since 2021 · 60 posts · 33 votes
2w
Hi! I’m a Realtor here in Madison and work with a pretty large investor base. I help people look for investment properties and house-hack opportunities like this fairly often. House-hacking is a really great way for him to get started!
I also have a great local lender I can recommend who has helped buyers in similar situations figure out the lowest down-payment option and how the potential rental income may factor into qualifying. I just sent you a connection request and will follow up with a private message once we’re connected!
Lender · Seattle WA · Member since 2025 · 211 posts · 33 votes
2w
Hi Clara, I work on investor and owner-occupied financing (house hack, DSCR, cash-out refi, HELOC, portfolio). House-hack financing on a small multifamily has a few good paths depending on how it's set up. Happy to walk through them. Feel free to message me or send a connection request and we can go from there. - Rushi