Off market seller lead! / Potential development opportunity!

Off market seller lead! / Potential development opportunity!

Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 20 votes

I'm talking with an off market seller in Citrus heights who owns two duplexes on one street that he aims to sell by the end of the year. He doesn't have any major pain point pushing him to sell the properties at a deep discount, and he told me he's already turned down a bunch of lowball offers. The thing is, according to the owner the properties are zoned so that 2 more units could be built on them. 

I've heard stories of guys like me missing out on potential deals like this one because of not knowing enough of what is possible with a particular property zoned a certain way. 

I'm hoping there is a more experienced investor in the greater Sacramento area that can help me create a deal out of this property!

0Reply
6 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Logan Vierstra:

    I'm talking with an off market seller in Citrus heights who owns two duplexes on one street that he aims to sell by the end of the year. He doesn't have any major pain point pushing him to sell the properties at a deep discount, and he told me he's already turned down a bunch of lowball offers. The thing is, according to the owner the properties are zoned so that 2 more units could be built on them. 

    I've heard stories of guys like me missing out on potential deals like this one because of not knowing enough of what is possible with a particular property zoned a certain way. 

    I'm hoping there is a more experienced investor in the greater Sacramento area that can help me create a deal out of this property!

     I do not know Sacramento but the best place to start is with the planning and zoning dept. to find out what the zoning allows for and if you can fit any more units on the property. They can give you insight to lot coverage, setbacks, parking requirements etc. You want to keep in mind just because the zoning allows for additional units the property itself may or may not be conducive to such.

  • Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    Thanks for the info Greg. I sent an email to the zoning department to get some more info on the property. I'll post any updates as they come 

    @Greg Dickerson

  • Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    I've been emailing with the city and I've found out that the way these are zoned allows for each property to have 1 ADU built on each.

    What kind of due diligence can I do before purchasing?

    @Greg Dickerson

  • Paul DashevskyPro Member
    Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 152 posts · 60 votes
    6y

    California passed a bunch of ADU laws recently that allow ALL residential properties in all cities to add at least one ADU. You can Google it to learn more or read some of the other ADU threads on BiggerPockets.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.