Rental Property Investor · New York NY (brooklyn, ny) · Member since 2019 · 76 posts · 79 votes
Hi everyone!
Our PM sold their business to Evernest this past week, and my husband and I are looking for any owners/out of state investors who have experience working with them.
I was told by their business development manager that they will not proceed with a job without owner approval if they receive an estimate from one of their vendors for over $500, and that in this case owners are free to choose their own vendors and pricing. Was this not others' experience?
Evernest's model is to rip you off on all maintenance. I get they need to make money, but charging double of what the contractor would charge? I am referring to Evernest of Denver. They quoted me $2500 for move out rehab. I took the same list to the contractor who would ultimately do the work. The contractor quoted me $1350. For anything significant, I don't use Evernest maintenance. They are just outright ripping property owners off. I hire my own handyman, he does great work and charge me 50% less than Evernest.
I am currently using Evernest in the Denver area. They are managing 3 multifamily properties for me. I would say I have very mixed feelings about them. They really courted me to hand my properties over to them. Depending the location of the property, they can get them in about 2 weeks or so. I have another property near university of Denver (which I would think should be pretty good), they have trouble filling that one. The third property is in a blue collar area near a very busy medical center (I thought the location is pretty good). They cannot rent out the empty units. Lastly, I feel like the rehab after moving out to make ready for putting the unit on the market is VERY expensive. They have required fixes which they nickel and dime me to death. I have not had any make ready less than $1000, most of them are $1500-$3000. I'm on here trying to see if I should find another property manager.
Real Estate Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 44 posts · 19 votes
5y
I used them for about 4 months and then got out. The last straw was a quote for a water heater replacement that was almost $4k. Oh, and I still had to pay $298 for the quote even though they did not do any work.
Rental Property Investor · New York NY (brooklyn, ny) · Member since 2019 · 76 posts · 79 votes
5y
Thank you both. We have now been with Evernest almost 2 months and are overall quite happy. No PM is perfect but we have found them to be very responsive and quick to resolve issues. We will see how it goes—we have a tenant leaving this summer—and are glad with the transition.
Rental Property Investor · New York NY (brooklyn, ny) · Member since 2019 · 76 posts · 79 votes
5y
In the spirit of transparency, I wanted to come back to this thread with an update. We are no longer using Evernest as our PM in Columbus. Happy to share thoughts over DM.
In the spirit of transparency, I wanted to come back to this thread with an update. We are no longer using Evernest as our PM in Columbus. Happy to share thoughts over DM.
Hello Kristina,
I'm currently with Evernest in the Jackson, MS area. I've had a lot of the same issues stated above. Could you please DM me with specifics and how the termination process went for you? Thank you!
we have had an experience with Evernest in CO as renters. Our son rented a property that was sold mid-lease and Evernest took over the property management. It has been awful! They charge all kinds of fees, hold tenants responsible for usual wear and are even charging us for a medicine cabinet that fell off the wall because it was installed incorrectly (into drywall not stud). We are disputing the final Tenant Disposition, they demand full payment within 2 weeks or threated to file with collections. The property manager is in Mexico so there is no one local to work with around tenant issues. Horrible experience, as a rental property owner I would never treat my tenants this way!
Property Manager · Roselle, IL (Chicago Suburb) · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
4y
We know Evernest as being an industry leader. By no means is any Property Manager perfect but this is the type of Property Manager that is super reactive when issues arise. I would ask your questions and get comfortable but I imagine you will be happy in the end.
Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 100 posts · 25 votes
4y
I was told by their business development manager that they will not proceed with a job without owner approval if they receive an estimate from one of their vendors for over $500, and that in this case owners are free to choose their own vendors and pricing. Was this not others' experience?
Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 8 votes
4y
I'm an out of state investor. Stay away from Evernest Little Rock. Operations are a disaster, they are unresponsive, and they don't care. They straight up ripped me off for an AC unit install. I'm out $6k from their micky mouse work and the inhouse warranty is void because I left them. This came after they had no idea that another of my properties was left vacant for over a month with trash all over the yard. I got a ticket from the city for clean up. City says they cleaned up. Evernest charged me and said they cleaned up. Anyway, if Evernest Little Rock is a symptom of the kind of incompetent culture that is tolerated within their network, then I would stay away from all of them.
Dang, was just talking to Evernest about investing in Little Rock for my first REI. I guess I'll do it the old-fashioned way and learn it all on my own. Thank you BP forums for keeping me on track!
I was told by their business development manager that they will not proceed with a job without owner approval if they receive an estimate from one of their vendors for over $500, and that in this case owners are free to choose their own vendors and pricing. Was this not others' experience?
Evernest's model is to rip you off on all maintenance. I get they need to make money, but charging double of what the contractor would charge? I am referring to Evernest of Denver. They quoted me $2500 for move out rehab. I took the same list to the contractor who would ultimately do the work. The contractor quoted me $1350. For anything significant, I don't use Evernest maintenance. They are just outright ripping property owners off. I hire my own handyman, he does great work and charge me 50% less than Evernest.
Oakland, CA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 3 votes
3y
I have some properties in the Atlanta area with Evernest and the experience is underwhelming at best. I have to stay on top of every detail and I cannot rely on Evernest for anything. I would not recommend them at all. They are terrible at managing properties.
I have some properties in the Atlanta area with Evernest and the experience is underwhelming at best. I have to stay on top of every detail and I cannot rely on Evernest for anything. I would not recommend them at all. They are terrible at managing properties.
Same in the Mississippi market, absolutely terrible. They have absolutely no idea what they are doing. I fired them over 2 months ago, stay away!
Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2022 · 147 posts · 40 votes
3y
@Amanda Lizana is my contact for Evernest in KC. Personally, I haven't had a customer use them yet, however, they are all very nice and easy to talk to!
@Amanda Lizana is my contact for Evernest in KC. Personally, I haven't had a customer use them yet, however, they are all very nice and easy to talk to!
Thank you! Call me anytime in Kansas City! We have wonderful reviews and work really hard for our investors.
Specialist · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
Incompetent and dishonest operation. When they took over, they did not do a move in inspection, they did not meet with the tenant, they actually lied to me about the type of deposit the tenant had (I had to find out on my own).
I had 4 different points of contact (Evernest "property managers") during the 5 months Evernest were managing my rental.
They had performed repairs on behalf of the tenant several times totaling well over $500 without permission or consent from me. They are extremely understaffed. Many times you call the line and key in the code for "owner/investor" or "tenant" and no one answers. However, they are happy to text you back when you key in the code for "new/prospective client".
They also lie. A lot. They would not call the tenant on my behalf. I had to make sure the tenant was out of the place, myself and my realtor collected keys, and made sure the tenant has vacated personally because Evernest could not perform even this simple task.
After the tenant vacated, they had the nerve to charge another month of property management fee several days AFTER I had made sure the tenant left the premises, which I will not pay under any circumstances.
Do not let their well produced youtube videos fool you, these company is incompetent and will not return phone calls, they will charge unauthorized repairs to your unit, and charge you triple (4 GCFI outlets they charged me $750 to replace). They are NOT running a legitimate business. Disgusting behavior on their part, not professional.
Anyone looking into Evernest feel free to contact me (PM me) and I will happily discuss in more detail.
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
3y
Guessing that they are outsourcing all their staffing, with obviously little training.
They sucked you all in with their low rates and you got what you paid for.
See our advice for ALL of you below:
In our experience, the #1 mistake owners make when selecting a Property Management Company (PMC) is ASSUMING instead of CONFIRMING.
It's often a case of not doing enough research, as they don't know what they don't know!
Owners mistakenly ASSUME all PMCs offer the exact SAME SERVICES and PERFORM those services EXACTLY THE SAME WAY, so price is the only differentiator – and they often select the first PMC they call!
So, the first question they usually ask a PMC is about fees - instead of asking about services and HOW those services are executed.
EXAMPLE: PMC states they will handle tenant screening – what does that specifically mean? What documents do they require, what credit scores do they allow, how do they verify previous rental history, etc.? You’d be shocked by how little actual screening many PMC’s do!
This also leads owners to ASSUME simpler is better when it comes to management contracts.
The reality is the opposite - if it's not in writing then the PMC doesn't have to provide the service or can charge extra for it!
We have a 14-page management contract that we've added our real experiences to over the years, with the intent of protecting both us AND the landlord. Beyond the Monthly Management, Placement & Maintenance fees, all other fees in our contract are IF EVENT -> THEN fees.
We don’t know any PMCs to recommend in the area mentioned, but since selecting the wrong PMC is usually more harmful than selecting a bad tenant, you might want to read our series about “How to Screen a PMC Better than a Tenant”:
We recommend you get management contracts from several PMCs and compare the services they cover and, more importantly, what they each DO NOT cover.
EDUCATE YOURSELF - yes, it will take time, but will lead to a selection that better meets your expectations & avoids potentially costly surprises!
P.S. If you just hire the cheapest or first PMC you speak with and it turns into a bad experience, please don’t assume ALL PMC’s are bad and start trashing PMC’s in general. Take ownership of your mistake and learn to do the proper due diligence recommended above😊
Please send us any feedback via email, as we do not use the DM feature here.
Also, if you like our response, please don’t be shy about giving us a vote😊
Our PM sold their business to Evernest this past week, and my husband and I are looking for any owners/out of state investors who have experience working with them.
Thank you in advance!!
Tina
I have been with Evernest for two years, it's mixed because they dont try to make the repair more affordable. I could get things much cheaper and faster in California than Evernest in Alabama. They're probably good if you have Class A property.
Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y
Know folks who've had just an awful time with them. Granted each branch is different, but they really screw both tenants and homeowners over for the same issues.
I have some properties in the Atlanta area with Evernest and the experience is underwhelming at best. I have to stay on top of every detail and I cannot rely on Evernest for anything. I would not recommend them at all. They are terrible at managing properties.
Hi David, I'm actively considering Evernest for 1 property in Atlanta. Could you update on if you are still using them or if there is another management company you now use? Thank you