How do you tenant-proof your rentals?

How do you tenant-proof your rentals?

Investor · Summerville, SC · Member since 2021 · 22 posts · 11 votes

How do you tenant proof your rentals? I was listening to BP show 48 and they gave a few ideas. I listed a few of them they discussed plus some from this post. What else do you do?

  1. Screen tenants thoroughly
  2. Use 5/8 drywall
  3. led lighting in common places
  4. ceramic tile or LVP flooring
  5. Satin/semi-gloss paint for easy cleaning
  6. tenant tip letters

Any tips on toilets that don't clog easily? what else do you do?

    3Reply
    108 views

    Most Popular Reply

    Investor · The Creek, WV · Member since 2014 · 890 posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Two things I do in addition to what you listed.

    I use the same color of paint in all of my rentals. Grey and white. This makes it much easier to touch up and keep track of. 


    Second thing. Under the sinks, I put down some vinyl or something similar. If there is a leak it will not ruin the floor of the cabinet and tenants are more likely to see/notice it. Most people don't look under there very often. This has really helped over the years. 

    See this reply in the discussion

    26 Replies

    Jump to latestLatest
    • Cameron TopePro Member
      Property Manager · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      4y
      Originally posted by @Derrick E.:

      Two things I do in addition to what you listed.

      I use the same color of paint in all of my rentals. Grey and white. This makes it much easier to touch up and keep track of. 


      Second thing. Under the sinks, I put down some vinyl or something similar. If there is a leak it will not ruin the floor of the cabinet and tenants are more likely to see/notice it. Most people don't look under there very often. This has really helped over the years. 

      Agreed! We learned this one the hard way and damaged subfloor on a pier and beam house. 

      We install WeatherTech mats under all the sinks in the bathrooms and kitchens. The mats are like $30-$50 depending on the size and we charge the tenants if they're damaged or removed upon move-out.  

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.