Best Upgrades to add value to a commercial building?

Best Upgrades to add value to a commercial building?

Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hey BP Family, 

I’m very interested in a 7 unit building with 1br 1br for each. 5 of the 7 units are below the average rent market. I want to add as much value to them INSIDE as well as outside… cosmetic and common area changes so I can raise the rents. In regards to inside, what are the BEST materials to use that are tenant friendly and not too expensive. These are units going in the sub $800 a door range. So I do not need ultra luxury, just something that works. 

Thanks for any help! 

0Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
4y

Best thing to do is look at comps and stick along those lines. If you're getting into flooring, I see LVP as the best bank for your buck. Durable, looks great, and it isn't too too pricey. Overall though there is no one size fits all answer. The local market is the best gauge.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    Best thing to do is look at comps and stick along those lines. If you're getting into flooring, I see LVP as the best bank for your buck. Durable, looks great, and it isn't too too pricey. Overall though there is no one size fits all answer. The local market is the best gauge.

  • Rental Property Investor · Normal, IL · Member since 2016 · 170 posts · 85 votes
    4y

    Its really hard to beat laminate flooring and fresh paint. I would plan to do the same flooring in all of them its nice to have a box or two on hand in case a few pieces get damaged somehow. Painting between tenants is pretty inevitable but it really isn't too expensive either. If the units just seem outdated but flooring and walls aren't too bad replacing light fixtures, outlet/switch covers, ceiling fans, and putting in LED lighting can make a big impact!

    Hope that helps!

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2022 · 200 posts · 77 votes
    4y

    Another vote for luxury vinyl flooring. It can be used in kitchens and bathrooms, as well as bedrooms and living areas, so it's super versatile in that sense. It's also easy to install and maintain and most importantly, there are lots of affordable options out there!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.