Rent to income ratio for roommates/couples?

Rent to income ratio for roommates/couples?

Richardson, TX · Member since 2013 · 20 posts · 0 votes

I know 3:1 income to rent is the general rule, but what rule do you use for roommates or couples? If there are 2 roommates do you just require 3:1 total or do you require that they each make half of the ratio (1.5:1)? Does this change for married couples since they are legally 1 entity?

0Reply
21 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • SFR Investor · Friendswood, TX · Member since 2013 · 136 posts · 11 votes
    13y

    for roomates yes looking at the amount they are each responsible for

    IE:

    1000 rent each is responsible for 500 so would need 1500 income EACH

    For a couple some people take just 1 of the incomes to make sure they can cover it with the 1/3 rule.

  • Rental Property Investor · Manteno, IL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    You're asking about married couples? For married couples, I don't require each of their incomes to cover 1.5 times the rent. I combine their income and make sure they get to 3 times the rent.

    If they weren't married, I might look to see more since its easier for one of them to move on. Same with roommates. I'm very hesitant to do 3 to 1 for roommates. They're much bigger risk for having one move out.

    Typically, I look to see if one of them can cover the rent by themselves (3 to 1). If not, I pass. I just haven't liked the odds of getting a long term tenant from roommates based on a couple of the experiences I've had. One year has been pretty typical. I had one that made it two. They just don't last and then if they can't afford the place on their own, they move.

  • Richardson, TX · Member since 2013 · 20 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Interesting, thanks guys. Do you require applications and credit checks from both people if they're married?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.