Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
This is more of a vent than anything.
So the first month with a new tenant has come around and I still have no rent payment. We set it so it was due on the 5th and late by the 10th; The renter wanted to pay rent by either electronic deposit or going to my bank to deposit.
Anyway, it's the 9th and I still have nothing. His phone is conveniently disconnected as well. Failure to Pay Rent papers will be filed tomorrow if I have nothing by 3pm. It's just so frustrating! The renters I found for the upstairs unit have been great so far...sending rent early even! Apparently I didn't do as well with this guy... Maybe I'm speaking too soon, but so far it doesn't feel good.
Between 2 of 4 of my renters being behind on rent, this has really stopped me from seriously looking at purchasing my third rental. Some of my tenants were "grandfathered" in from the previous owner. My cash flow is affected; I can't get another mortgage until I get rid of these bad renters!
Rental Property Investor · Annapolis, MD · Member since 2014 · 214 posts · 140 votes
12y
The way I prevent/reduce this "game paying" or at least make my time at the courthouse worthwhile is by:
For example, if the rent is $1000 in our unit, than i write the lease for $1200 and the Tenant gets a discount if they pay by 4th of the month. My lease was looked over by a Maryland Judge and he was fine with it. According to local laws, late fees are here in MD about 3-5%. But I do not have late fees, just rent discounts for timely payments!
Each time i "file for failure to pay" rent i just write in $1200 and no late fees. And if the tenant plays with me until eviction this way i get an extra $600.
Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y
Since October....because sometimes he'd pay at the last minute to extend his time. But today, he just didn't have the money. :-)
Oh, and they found a bunch of the neighbors mail in the unit.....even though he swore up and down that it was HIS mail that was getting stolen. *roll eyes* This guy lies so much, I don't think he even knows what's the truth anymore.
@Jarrett Harris Good luck! I hope they are out by that date for you.
Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y
Oh, did I speak too soon?
They spent the night on the front yard with all their stuff. All night. Still there. I get they are trying to protect their things from being stolen by staying with it, but that's not my problem.
I called the Constable that did the eviction. He is going there now to "see what their intentions" are. We all know they will just say what he wants to hear...something like "oh we are waiting for a truck" blah blah blah.
To have them removed from the yard for trespassing, I have to call the police, but be there with the eviction paper to prove they were evicted. So if they aren't gone by this evening once I get home from work, I get to go up there.
Then quickly get rid of all that stuff so I'm not fined by the County.
**Edit** Constable called back. He's there with them now and apparently they have some organization coming to help them load everything at 11:00 and will be cleared out by 3:00pm. I said I agree to give until 3PM to clear out.
Are you going to attempt to collect from this dude (I can't remember what it's called but filing something so it follows him - like to get a garnishment, etc). So that hopefully when he tries to pull this crap with the next person it isn't so easy for him.
Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y
heh, well, they left by yesterday afternoon so I didn't have to call the cops. They still took way too long to leave my yard.
This guy's income is social security, so of course I can't garnish that. I could try collections, but I doubt he'll ever pay. He'll laugh. Or say I'm committing fraud. ;-)