Do you change HVAC filters in your rental?

Do you change HVAC filters in your rental?

Investor · Midwest · Member since 2013 · 253 posts · 34 votes

Do you change HVAC filters in your rental? A local property manager said to let tenants be responsible for that because it effects their own energy bill each month. I hesitate to agree because I wouldn't want them somehow accidentally messing something up, or just not changing it. What do you do, why or why not?

On a related note, do you clean air ducts? How often?

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
12y

Changing the filters yourself (or having someone on your team do it) gives you an excuse to visit the property (and see the interior) at least once per quarter. That alone is reason to do it...

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 384 posts · 109 votes
    12y

    Yes, I go ahead and change the furnace filter myself in my duplexes. My reasoning is that its just so quick and easy that I might as well do it myself. Most of my tenants are not experienced in dealing with a furnace, so I just don't want to even suggest that they try it.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y

    Changing the filters yourself (or having someone on your team do it) gives you an excuse to visit the property (and see the interior) at least once per quarter. That alone is reason to do it...

  • Investor · Midwest · Member since 2013 · 253 posts · 34 votes
    12y

    Yes, that's another reason I want to be responsible for that.

    How often should they be changed?

  • Real Estate Investor · Naperville, IL · Member since 2013 · 27 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    @Therese I agree with both comments. I recently renewed and signed a 12 month lease with my renters. Along with a signing and walk around I did bring my renters new filters. Typically filters should be changed every 90 days or so.

  • Investor · Davie, FL · Member since 2010 · 66 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    On signing a new lease I usually provide a years worth (usually 4) filters that are pre-labelled with the month they are supposed to be installed. I also provide a move-in sheet with my contact info, handy numbers, rent payment options and care/troubleshooting steps for the unit. That in itself has saved me countless time as every tenant who has gotten the move-in sheet has commented on how they have avoided calling me by following the basics on there.

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2013 · 99 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    I had a clause in the lease with my previous tenants stating that they were responsible for changing the filters. They did change them as agreed, but they also did a lot of damage to the property, which might have been prevented if I had made regular visits. Now I have new tenants, and will change the filters myself each quarter.

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Therese V.:
    Do you change HVAC filters in your rental? A local property manager said to let tenants be responsible for that because it effects their own energy bill each month. I hesitate to agree because I wouldn't want them somehow accidentally messing something up, or just not changing it. What do you do, why or why not?

    On a related note, do you clean air ducts? How often?

    Change it yourself if you want a good excuse to inspect your property regularly.

    Or hire someone cheap to do these sorts of things and report back to you.

    Tenants often have no idea where to put filters in, and would too easily forget.

    It's not like breaking the HVAC system because they never changed the filters would cost them anything-- it would cost you, and they would just claim they changed the filters as agreed.

    I hardly remember to changed my own air filters often enough, and my money is on the line with my property. I can't imagine a tenant easily remembering to change them on time, especially since their money isn't on the line with repair expenses.

    I've never had my air ducts cleaned.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.