Potential tenant and ESA pet question

Potential tenant and ESA pet question

Wichita, KS · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Good morning all I have a little issue we are dealing with on a potential tenant.  Showed the house before we were ready to because her mother is a neighbor and was looking for her daughter, Short story is she loved it and it was close to her mother which is where she wanted to be.  The issue is when we were walking the house she disclosed she had 2 dogs (and also a cat which was forgotten about until the next day).  The pets are not a problem as people have pets and we understand and have terms outlining the pet rules.  The issue is when we said rent was going to be higher due to the pets now all of a sudden one of them is an ESA and she "doesn't know how that works with rents".  I feel she knows exactly how that works and played us all the way up until she disclosed this information.

Everything has been just a verbal conversation and a few texts back and forth.  There has been no application filled out or money accepted to begin any screening process.  I know what I should do but am curious as to what experiences others have had with "ESA" pets.   

0Reply
14 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 576 posts · 358 votes
    4y

    No experience whatsoever.

    Advertise the house. Get several applications. Run your usual screening process. Select the best applicant.

  • Wichita, KS · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Thanks for your reply and quick judgement.  Not no experience, but yes we are about a little over a year into this adventure of investing in real estate and have been lucky enough to have placed good tenant in the first house.  

    I thought that's what this place was for was to ask questions for what you haven't experienced yet.  Did you know everything on your first few investments?  I doubt it.  Neither do we, which is why I came on here, to read and ask.  So why start a reply slamming the fact I am not on your level?  Your last sentence would have been enough and I do appreciate that feedback.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.