Prospective tenant put N/A on application for as number

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Rantoul, IL · Member since 2013 · 40 posts · 9 votes
12y

Unless they are in the witness protection program and dont know their new information, I dont see how that would be "Not applicable". I would disregard the application. If they don't take it seriously enough to fill it out completely, then I wouldn't consider them a serious applicant.

See this reply in the discussion

42 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Rantoul, IL · Member since 2013 · 40 posts · 9 votes
    12y

    Unless they are in the witness protection program and dont know their new information, I dont see how that would be "Not applicable". I would disregard the application. If they don't take it seriously enough to fill it out completely, then I wouldn't consider them a serious applicant.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    You have people from other countries that are legal here but no SSN. Did you ask why they did not put a SSN down?

    Joe Gore

  • Real Estate Investor · Rantoul, IL · Member since 2013 · 40 posts · 9 votes
    12y

    If they are legal, dont they generally get a ITIN in order to be employed?

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    People from other countries have a dob though. Move on too the next applicant.

  • Real Estate Investor · Rantoul, IL · Member since 2013 · 40 posts · 9 votes
    12y

    I agree with James. This one sends off all kinds of red flags. They either arent serious or have something serious to hide. Im confident you have other applicants who provide the required information.

  • Sun Prairie, WI · Member since 2013 · 150 posts · 69 votes
    12y

    If they are otherwise qualified, I'd ask them why they didn't put that information down. Over the years, people have been trained to protect their social security number, date of birth and other highly personal information. They may not realize why it is so important to a potential landlord.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y
    Brandon,

    An ITIN is not to be used as credit purpose only filing taxes under. You have to farm workers who have a work visa and not required to get an ITIN or SSN, and you cannot discrimination against them under fair housings.


    Joe Gore
  • Real Estate Investor · Rantoul, IL · Member since 2013 · 40 posts · 9 votes
    12y

    Joe,

    I see I see. I wasnt aware they could not be used for credit purposes. Every time Ive seen them its been on employment applications. Thanks for clarifying that for me! I think I need to spend a little time on the IRS website and catch up.

    With that in mind, wouldnt it make sense for them to apply for a number through the Social security office? I understand I cannot discriminate against them, nor would I have any intentions of doing so. I just dont see why they wouldnt take the extra step.

  • Real Estate Investor · Rantoul, IL · Member since 2013 · 40 posts · 9 votes
    12y

    Nevermind. I see your point after reading what I just wrote.

  • Investor · Oceanside, CA · Member since 2013 · 17 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    I agree with Jennifer, we are conditioned to protect our personal information. If everything else is okay, I'd contact them and ask why they didn't include the requested information. It could be as simple as they wanted to know you are serious about their application before providing it.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y

    Sure there is some identity theft out there - hence the attempt at identity protection occurs. So as a landlord screening an applicant, you have to gain the confidence of that applicant sometimes to get the needed information. so when they hand you an application with that information missing, you have to on the spot determine why - from them. If your acceptance of them is determined by the missing info, without that info you can only decline their application.

    I still recall the one prospect (rejected) who said that they just had credit pulled to get a car a couple of weeks back. So they didn't want another credit pull. I explained that I was going to be giving them use of something worth many times what that car was worth; if they wanted the rental unit, their credit history was important enough to the creditor (the landlord - me) to decline them without that credit history.

  • Real Estate Investor · Hampton, VA · Member since 2012 · 562 posts · 109 votes
    12y

    It may be to protect themselves, if they are approved I would request copies of social security and drivers license.

  • Braselton, GA · Member since 2013 · 243 posts · 57 votes
    12y

    she also didn't provide any banking info. I emailed her and said I couldn't do a check without the information being filled out on the application and she hasn't responded. Probably for the best as she was on a fixed income that wasn't 3x monthly rent.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y

    Wait a sec - you go to all this EXTRA effort for somebody who wouldn't have qualified in any case, due to insufficient income? I don't even accept an application if they don't show sufficient income (unless they also meet one of my special cases where I go a bit lower than 3 times rent).

    They probably figured they couldn't qualify, so that was why they left stuff blank.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    Why would you need their banking info?

    Joe Gore

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Justen Ashcraft:
    a prospective tenant put N/A on the app for her ss number, dob, and drivers license number. What would you do in this situation?

    Another thread not read, sorry. A resident alien! Any adult citizen will have a SSN. Now, if they are young they may not know it and thought it was not an issue, so ask. Check on state laws as to leasing to aliens, especially from Mars (LOL, I know that's not politically correct, but what ever these visitors are). I don't think there is any restriction as they can lease a property but you may never track them down if they split nor could you get them in court very easily. Qualifying them may be difficult too. That's my guess! :)

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y
    Bill,

    Every adult who was born in the USA will have an SSN. Farm works from other countries don't have an SSN. A resident alien cannot get an SSN until they become a permanent resident alien. You cannot discriminate against a farm worker base on fair housing because they don't have an SSN. Landlords tried that in California and White settlement, Texas tried and lost.


    Joe Gore
  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    When I run a background check on someone, I need their full name, DOB, SS#, current address, and former address.

    How are you supposed to check them out without that information?

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    I can not compel them to complete the application but I can not process it without that information. If they won't share that with me I would share $100K of RE with them. Next.

  • Investor · North Wales, PA · Member since 2013 · 116 posts · 44 votes
    12y

    I had some tenants write N/A for their bank accounts and another write N/A for their income information. I simply laughed to myself and disregarded these applications.

    How am I supposed to agree to have you move into my house without the slightest hint that you might be able to pay me?

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    You should ask for pay check stubs to verify if they make enough money to pay the rent. Asking for banking info sound fishy.


    Joe Gore

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    Rob,

    Who ever told you that you need a SSN to run a background check been drinking way to much Boone farm apple wine. All you need is a full name and DOB to run a background check. I know this for a fact.

    Joe Gore

  • Property Manager · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 25 posts · 20 votes
    12y

    I would file it under the heading "N/A" Not Approved

  • Braselton, GA · Member since 2013 · 243 posts · 57 votes
    12y

    joe, I used the application form I found on this site.

  • SFR Investor · Hillsboro, OH · Member since 2011 · 18 posts · 1 vote
    12y
    Originally posted by Joe Gore:
    Bill,


    Every adult who was born in the USA will have an SSN. Farm works from other countries don't have an SSN. A resident alien cannot get an SSN until they become a permanent resident alien. You cannot discriminate against a farm worker base on fair housing because they don't have an SSN. Landlords tried that in California and White settlement, Texas tried and lost.


    Joe Gore

    Not necessarily. I know people born in the USA (with "native" parents) who don't have an SSN. I also know parents who specifically don't get a number for their kids but will let them decide when they turn 18 whether to get one or not.

    If the rest of their application is good, I'd ask them about it or just accept them. Otherwise, keep the application fee (if you charge one) and move on to the next applicant.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.