• Troy, NY
Votes |
Repair vs replace appliances

Craig Desnoyers
Pro Member
  • Troy, NY
Posted Jun 15 2022, 09:07

Hey everyone, 

I purchased a property back in Feb. 2022, I have a tenant whose refrigerator leaks water out of the front door and she states this only happens in the summer time. She has been there for a few years now, I have done some looking around and 1 possibility is a clogged defrost drain, but the fact it only happens in the summer has me questioning this. I called around and to get someone to come officially diagnosis it would be 1 charge, then to come replace parts + fix would be a separate charge. The refrigerator is 14 years old according to the sticker on the back,  my gut instinct is to replace since I can find them for $300-$500.

Does replacing almost always out weight repairing appliances in a rental? If you can find a replacement for $300-$500 but could potentially be a few hundred in repairs?

When would you consider repair?

Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Greg M.#5 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Greg M.#5 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jun 15 2022, 09:10

There is no way I'd repair a 14 year old fridge. Tomorrow something else is going to break on it. 

User Stats

Votes
Rick Albert#2 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jun 15 2022, 09:12

I agree with Greg, it will cost about $200-$250 just for someone to show up, not including additional costs to repair and materials.

Since you just bought it, is there a home warranty that you can use?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Craig Desnoyers
Pro Member
  • Troy, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Troy, NY
Replied Jun 15 2022, 09:38

Thank you Greg and Rick,

I appreciate the quick replies, I was leaning towards just replacing it and you've both helped push me in that direction since its not very expensive. 

As you mentioned Greg cost effectiveness down the road, it will hopefully mitigate any maintenance calls on it for a while. 

Rick, that was my main concern was cost of someone coming out multiple times would quickly exceed the price of a new one. I didn't purchase a home warranty plan and it possibly would have been useful this time around. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 15 2022, 12:57

A refrigerator that leaks only in the summer makes sense because that is when it's most humid. This could be an easy fix if the drain pan is damaged or simply not placed correctly. In my first property I had a 20 year old fridge that leaked water (only in summer) and it was just the pan was wiggled out of place, it took 5 seconds to fix. I don't know how handy you or how close this property is to you but I personally would take a quick look under the refrigerator (or move it out) and inspect the drain pan.

With all that said, refrigerators are tricky when you can't repair it yourself because the cost of service gets you close to the cost of a new one.
Then pose the question of buy new or used. I recently bought a property with no refrigerator and I opted for a brand new refrigerator because it worked out to being about $200 more than a 5 year old refrigerator. To me, it was just peace of mind.

User Stats

Votes
Karissa Sampson
  • Colorado
Votes |
  • Colorado
Replied Jun 15 2022, 15:06

Replace it. I buy gentle used appliances that are only a few years old for a few hundred bucks. Fridges are expensive to repair and a pain. 

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Jun 15 2022, 16:33

What I do depends on the appliance, the problem, the age and the location of the appliance.

Serious issues on appliances more than 10 years old I would absolutely consider replacement, as it's probably not worth putting time and effort towards the appliance. 

That said, I personally can fix almost anything mechanical. It is a talent I have, and I enjoy fixing things. 3 days ago I saved $500 on a new dryer by installing a $35 repair kit that took me about 2 hours from start to finish including clean up. I don't know too many people that make $225/hr. A few months ago I saved another $500 on a new washing machine by replacing a $20 mixing valve. 

I generally won't bother with dead/dying refrigerator compressors. You need to evacuate and recharge the system, which requires special equipment and refrigerant isn't cheap any more. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jun 16 2022, 06:02
Quote from @Craig Desnoyers:

Hey everyone, 

I purchased a property back in Feb. 2022, I have a tenant whose refrigerator leaks water out of the front door and she states this only happens in the summer time. She has been there for a few years now, I have done some looking around and 1 possibility is a clogged defrost drain, but the fact it only happens in the summer has me questioning this. I called around and to get someone to come officially diagnosis it would be 1 charge, then to come replace parts + fix would be a separate charge. The refrigerator is 14 years old according to the sticker on the back,  my gut instinct is to replace since I can find them for $300-$500.

Does replacing almost always out weight repairing appliances in a rental? If you can find a replacement for $300-$500 but could potentially be a few hundred in repairs?

When would you consider repair?

Thanks in advance!

It's not an expensive repair, but it's not worth it on a fridge of that age with a value of $100 or less. Replace it. Keep this one as a drink fridge or sell it cheap to someone.

Generally speaking, I will consider replacement on any appliance more than 10 years old or if the repair will be more than 50% of the appliance's value.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo