1st time House Hacking in NJ, Advise on calculating the numbers

1st time House Hacking in NJ, Advise on calculating the numbers

Investor · NJ · Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 7 votes

When you are calculating numbers on a house hack scenario would you consider the room/side you are living on apart of the rental income ? 


I am looking at buying a 3br house with a basement than is fully furnished that I can rent out for anywhere from 1200-1300 a month in additional income with fully furnished bathroom. 

Currently paying 1500 a month in rent in my current situation.

Looking to buy a house that is 569k using a conventional loan putting 5% down

Expecting the mortgage with insurance taxes etc to come in at 4,000-4,200.

I am trying to rent the 2 bedrooms out for about 1050-1100 each and the basement out for 1200-1300 a month

When I am adding up the numbers I'm getting a total monthly income of 3400 from the other rooms, leaving me on the hook for the remaining 800 or 600 dollars depending on what the lender comes back with.

Am I calculating this house hack correctly or should I be adding in the fact that I currently pay 1500 a month in rent so by eliminating that payment I am essentially making 700 bucks on the deal considering I am only paying 800 a month towards the mortgage.

This is my first house hack so just trying to ensure I am running the numbers correctly 

0Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 10 votes
    4y

    I calculate the numbers on a house hack the same way I would do a rental. You want the property to cashflow positively once you leave so you do the numbers as if you were not there and then you simply substract the rent of the unit that you will be occupying and that difference is how much you are paying in this new situation. My two requirements for me to jump on a house hack is: 

    1- Will it cashflow once I move out of the property (accounting for all expenses of course)?

    2- Will my living expenses go down by me purchasing this property and moving into it (say for example renting or a mortgage for $1000 vs $300 to make up for the difference on the new property mortgage, $700 in savings)?

    If those two = yes, then I purchase the property. 

  • Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
    Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Hi @Eric Kelly happy to help. NJ is a unique market in terms of analyzing house hacks. I just closed on a property with a very similar set up. Regarding the conventional loan, is your lender requiring you to have PMI? There are lenders out there that offer low money down conventional NO PMI for single family and multi family, not many lenders offer it but some do. Cap X and vacancy are things to consider, I have few hacks for those to make them very low but they are still and monthly expense.

    House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.