Investor · Chatham County, NC · Member since 2014 · 89 posts · 20 votes
I have a potential property I'm looking at. It's all great except...there are two sets of double sliding glass doors that open to where a deck ONCE was. The HOA is unlikely to let a new deck be added. So if I purchase, I need to convert the two double-pane sliding doors to windows (either all glass or some wall/some window. I kind of like the all-glass idea.
But I don't have any idea on cost to put in a pro forma. Has anyone ever replaced ONE sliding door pair with a window? Did you go with one monolithic pane? Who'd you buy it from? Did you fill in a wall in the lower half and put more standard windows above?
All advice (and costs, in what past year) are welcome!
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
4y
@Patrick M. we had french doors going out to a porch and replaced with a window. We went with a single window but this was an old house and the door was 4 foot wide. You can put non-opening panels in part of the space and that may save some $ if you have a wide opening. We put a wall up part way about 12 inches because it went onto a porch and we had to get rid of the threshold but it really depends on the house. It was easier to frame in bottom and reside but residing might not be so easy for you. Also you have an HOA what are they going to want?
As for cost, they are windows so your cost depends on the size of the window.
Investor · Chatham County, NC · Member since 2014 · 89 posts · 20 votes
4y
Thanks @Colleen F.! It's the outer wall of a condo. There's another unit upstairs. Just figuring that there would be some complexity there and not sure what they'd accept or not.
Real Estate Broker · New Holland, PA · Member since 2016 · 51 posts · 38 votes
4y
It might be easier to put a railing on the outside so no one can fall out when its open… you might want to check with you HOA first and see if thats ok.
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
4y
@Patrick M. I am curious how does a condo get a deck that is no longer allowed. Did they build illegally and get caught? If so they may want you to restore to the original that was there.