To Wi Fi or Not To Wi Fi, that is the question?

To Wi Fi or Not To Wi Fi, that is the question?

Investor · Monterey, CA · Member since 2014 · 177 posts · 55 votes

Hi all:

I own a little 1 br house ADU behind my house but it does not have Internet. I can not use my Internet connection back there...So I was wondering what others are doing? Most of my prospective tenants are 30-somethings and want privacy and wi-fi, preferably high-speed...So I have tried a little device that plugs into the wall outlet that is suppose to reach other connections...but it does not work to the house in back...any other suggestions. Right now, I tell prospective tenants to use their phone hotspot but I would like to offer more as I am getting some good applicants but no wi-fi is a big issue.

Also, I would like to add more storage.  Any suggestions? I could add a shed to the yard for access, but I was hoping for a less expensive option...... Thoughts?  Thanks in advance! Gayle in Monterey, CA

0Reply
52 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y

    @Gayle Eisner You can buy much more powerful routers on Amazon that will pick up your internet signal from your house and that can be used in the ADU.

  • Software Developer · Vidor, TX · Member since 2015 · 922 posts · 639 votes
    4y

    @Gayle Eisner

    Max segment length for cat 5e/6 is 328 ft.   Could you just run a direct bury line to the house in the back and have your tenants use a wireless router?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.