Property Manager · TX · Member since 2019 · 327 posts · 69 votes
Hi all,
My previous tenants moved out 7/31 and I found out they smoked inside the house. It cost me $4800 to get rid of the smell (replaced all blinds, painted the whole house, air duct cleaning) while their deposit was only $2300 so they still owe me $2500. I kept asking for their forwarding address so I can send invoice to them (via certified mail) but of course they have been quiet. At this point I am thinking of sending them to collection agencies (not counting on them paying, but at least so that they will get reported and it will show on their credit report) but I don't know how. Has anyone done this before and what are the steps you need to do?
Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
4y
@Courtney Duong, you didn't say that you sued them yet. If you didn't sue them, that would be the first step to get a judgement that the amount is owed.
Collecting on a judgement is difficult and in most cases will not end up on their credit report. I think laws changed some years back about that. However the judgement will show up when future landlords screen them and unpaid judgements can be filed to become liens on property and open up other avenues to collect depending on the state. It isn't usually easy to collect on a judgement but it is possible in some cases.
Property Manager · TX · Member since 2019 · 327 posts · 69 votes
4y
@Kevin Sobilo Thanks for the input. No, I haven't sued them yet. Still don't know what is the next step which from you sounds like I need to take them to small claims court first. So will look more into it. Thanks.