Have a false mechanics lien filed against property. What to do

Have a false mechanics lien filed against property. What to do

Property Manager · 75098 · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 12 votes

So I have a 4plex in Tulsa county. 

I'm under contract with a buyer right now.

had a contractor spruce up 2 of the units. 

things went south with this "investment contractor". Long story but I found her guys to be very incompetent, slow, and lacking in basic carpentry knowledge. Let them finish the jobs though because they were small and I am under a construction loan I wanted to hurry up and get out of. 

For both units I have the estimate, invoice, and signed lien waivers.  

Two days after the property was put on market, a lien was placed for $2370. Found out about it today after title work came back. 

No responses when I text her. Talked to my property manager (who originally recommended this idiot) and he said it might be over a door i told him she needed to have fixed because it broke off the hinges a month after install and maybe theyre mad about it. It's just a theory

Im calling the county tomorrow to see what exactly the lien says, but yeah... how the hell do I handle this? 

If I pay it off just to close with the buyer will that limit any retaliation I have? If they choose to close I don't want to eat 60k to fight over 2500 bucks, but it does really stick in my craw and I would like to file charges for a false lien at least 

The fact it was filed 2 days after list seems retaliatory and vindictive. This psycho chick is a realtor with a renovation company, and apparently wants to commit a felony to get back at me for calling her stupid? 


Please advise



0Reply
15 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 887 posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Wow... not cool.  You should be able to get a copy of the contract/ bid for the work. If they fabricated it and forged your signature, they could be in some big trouble. 

    You need to decide if you want to go the legal route. Hopefully it doesn't jeopardize your deal. If so, probably worth eating the 2k and seeing if there's a way it could be addressed after the fact. Either that or consider it a 2k lesson learned in hiring a bum contractor. If you go the legal route your almost certainly looking at more than 2k. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Somewhere over the Rainbow · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Seems like a lose lose - best bet to me is to take the lesser of the two "loses" - if that makes sense

    Leave them all a negative review, eat it, don't use them again, give them a bad reputation, and move on - that'd be my plan at least 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.