Snow Removal - Massachusetts

Snow Removal - Massachusetts

Rental Property Investor · Worcester, MA · Member since 2013 · 137 posts · 36 votes

I have a few questions on how other multifamily owners handle their snow removal. When hiring services out do you pay a flat rate or by the hour? Does this include both driveways and walks?

I realize I have a few options, 1 would be having one of my tenants do the snow removal for a $50 break on the rent. I am not sure what is customary. Another option would be for me to hire it out to the guy that cuts my lawn. He told me he wanted $50/hr which seems high to do the walks and stairs.

Long story short I am looking to see what others do and what I should expect to pay .

0Reply
46 views

Most Popular Reply

Mike HurneyPro Member
Real Estate Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 542 votes
12y

@Mike Hoefling Single Family rentals, I have them do it all, Cut grass in the Summer, Shovel snow from driveways and walks.

I never have a Tenant do anything on a Multi unless they've got an Associated Industry Company with Insurance, etc. I contract that out.

BUT I do make sure there are New Shovels each year at each Multi with the address spray painted on them and plenty of Sand and Salt! So if someone HAS to get out, they can and by the time a Contractor is there it's less for them (by the hour).

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    We have a legal 2-family that is basically 2 SFRs on the same lot.  They each have their own driveway so we write in their lease that they are responsible for snow removal (we cut the grass).

    For the multis we hire it out.  I don't want someone who lives in the property removing snow.  Before you know it they will request to do more work and then ask to get their pay taken off their rent.  Then what do you if there work is shoddy?  Slippery slope.

  • Philly Burbs, PA · Member since 2015 · 338 posts · 133 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Mike Hoefling:

    I have a few questions on how other multifamily owners handle their snow removal. When hiring services out do you pay a flat rate or by the hour? Does this include both driveways and walks?

    I realize I have a few options, 1 would be having one of my tenants do the snow removal for a $50 break on the rent. I am not sure what is customary. Another option would be for me to hire it out to the guy that cuts my lawn. He told me he wanted $50/hr which seems high to do the walks and stairs.

    Long story short I am looking to see what others do and what I should expect to pay .

     If he is a real contractor with equipment and insurance 50@hour is really cheap.

    Have you ever asked this guy for a "Certificate of Insurance"? BTW a real one will be sent to you in the mail and will have your name on it. Landscapers and home improvers are notorious for handing you one they made up with a computer and a printer.

  • Philly Burbs, PA · Member since 2015 · 338 posts · 133 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Joe Cummings:
    Originally posted by @Mike Hoefling:

    I have a few questions on how other multifamily owners handle their snow removal. When hiring services out do you pay a flat rate or by the hour? Does this include both driveways and walks?

    I realize I have a few options, 1 would be having one of my tenants do the snow removal for a $50 break on the rent. I am not sure what is customary. Another option would be for me to hire it out to the guy that cuts my lawn. He told me he wanted $50/hr which seems high to do the walks and stairs.

    Long story short I am looking to see what others do and what I should expect to pay .

     If he is a real contractor with equipment and insurance 50@hour is really cheap.

    Have you ever asked this guy for a "Certificate of Insurance"? BTW a real one will be sent to you in the mail and will have your name on it. Landscapers and home improvers are notorious for handing you one they made up with a computer and a printer.

     I meant to say "Sent to you in the mail by his insurance company". Just wanted to be clear.

  • Rental Property Investor · Worcester, MA · Member since 2013 · 137 posts · 36 votes
    11y

    I ended up using a company to perform the snow removal however this year I found out they were billing me without showing up or billing me for 4 times when they showed up 2 times. This was confirmed when I showed up at the property after our recent blizzard the company said the went 2 times already and there was no snow mounds visible from pushing snow with their plow. I have since told the company I am no longer going to be using them because of this. Anyways does any one know anyone reliable I can use?

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Brie Schmidt Hi Brie. We are in the Chicago area and our multi unit snow removal costs are super high! ($1,700 for the one storm in November). Could you forward the name of your snow removal company? Thank you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.