How do I fire a property manager who is unreponsive?

How do I fire a property manager who is unreponsive?

Investor · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 0 votes

Hi all, I need to fire the current property manager, I was not able to get in touch with him as he never picks up the phone. How do I do it so I can 1) get him to release the rent for this month  2) have the tenant pay me directly starting next month and 3)have the manager transfer over the deposit and the keys?  How do I do this if he never picks up the call? is there something I can do? I suppose to can threaten with a bad online review, but is there something else I can do? I feel like I am kind of held hostage. 

0Reply
54 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

Concur with Richard's post above - the firs step is to check your management agreement to determine what it says about termination. At that point you can take the appropriate steps which should be done in a verifiable way (certified letter AND email, IMO). At that point notify the tenant (CC'ing the PM) of the date that management will change over and where they should start paying their rent.

Collecting documents (lease agreement, rental license, lead certs, etc) from your current manager may be a PIA, but well worth it if they are not meeting your expectations.

One more thought - if you live in a state where PMs are required to be licensed you can file a complaint with the regulatory board.

Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Providence, RI · Member since 2022 · 404 posts · 262 votes
    3y

    not the most cost effective but you could involve an attorney, have them contact the property manager directly.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Look at your contract, there may be a clause to pay the PM the rest of the PM fee's for the remainder of the contract length if you have a tenant. 

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Aloha,

    Send a letter, Certified, Return Receipt Requested. Check your Management Agreement to see if it specifies how many days notice are required to terminate the contract (30 is customary, but your agreement and/or local law may state otherwise). Once you know what the earliest lawful termination date will be, send a notice to tenants informing them of the change in management. The rest of the terms of their current agreements will remain the same. The transfer of documents, funds, keys, financials etc. will take time, but you must do everything in writing so you have a record of it.

  • Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Concur with Richard's post above - the firs step is to check your management agreement to determine what it says about termination. At that point you can take the appropriate steps which should be done in a verifiable way (certified letter AND email, IMO). At that point notify the tenant (CC'ing the PM) of the date that management will change over and where they should start paying their rent.

    Collecting documents (lease agreement, rental license, lead certs, etc) from your current manager may be a PIA, but well worth it if they are not meeting your expectations.

    One more thought - if you live in a state where PMs are required to be licensed you can file a complaint with the regulatory board.

    Good luck!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Victoria Z.:

    Hi all, I need to fire the current property manager, I was not able to get in touch with him as he never picks up the phone. How do I do it so I can 1) get him to release the rent for this month  2) have the tenant pay me directly starting next month and 3)have the manager transfer over the deposit and the keys?  How do I do this if he never picks up the call? is there something I can do? I suppose to can threaten with a bad online review, but is there something else I can do? I feel like I am kind of held hostage. 


     Simple you tell the tenant to pay you and than work out your last rent payment with the PM. Also email a termination letter to the PM, Not a bad Idea to mail one as well, certified 

  • Investor · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    Thanks all!! Appreciate all your help! The manager is a registered real estate agent in IL. The contract states that I need to pay 50% of the monthly rent if I want to terminate it during the lease term. I guess best way maybe just keep the guy until end of March (end of the lease). Nothing in the contract states that he needs to be responsive, interestingly. Do I still have basis for complaint?

  • Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Victoria Z.:

    Thanks all!! Appreciate all your help! The manager is a registered real estate agent in IL. The contract states that I need to pay 50% of the monthly rent if I want to terminate it during the lease term. I guess best way maybe just keep the guy until end of March (end of the lease). Nothing in the contract states that he needs to be responsive, interestingly. Do I still have basis for complaint?

    I certainly think so, even if its not in your contract there are professional standards that licensed Realtors have to abide by.
  • Property Manager · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2023 · 101 posts · 77 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Victoria Z.:

    Thanks all!! Appreciate all your help! The manager is a registered real estate agent in IL. The contract states that I need to pay 50% of the monthly rent if I want to terminate it during the lease term. I guess best way maybe just keep the guy until end of March (end of the lease). Nothing in the contract states that he needs to be responsive, interestingly. Do I still have basis for complaint?


    For sure. If they're non-responsive (i.e. derelict in their duties) then they're not performing their obligations of the agreement. That's grounds to issue notice to the PM. It's not technically you cancelling; it's you giving them an opportunity to cure their breach. Formal complaints to the state's real estate board are affective as well...

  • Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Withhold your next payment my bet is he will get in touch with you real quick

  • Investor · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Benjamin Nelson:

    Withhold your next payment my bet is he will get in touch with you real quick


     Thanks, Benjamin, the tenant pays directly to him and he takes the management fee from the rent. He does not pick up the call and is late on releasing all the rent payments. The tenant paid a month ago and he still hasn't released it. 

  • Investor · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Brown:
    Quote from @Victoria Z.:

    Thanks all!! Appreciate all your help! The manager is a registered real estate agent in IL. The contract states that I need to pay 50% of the monthly rent if I want to terminate it during the lease term. I guess best way maybe just keep the guy until end of March (end of the lease). Nothing in the contract states that he needs to be responsive, interestingly. Do I still have basis for complaint?


    For sure. If they're non-responsive (i.e. derelict in their duties) then they're not performing their obligations of the agreement. That's grounds to issue notice to the PM. It's not technically you cancelling; it's you giving them an opportunity to cure their breach. Formal complaints to the state's real estate board are affective as well...


     Thank you Nathan! appreciate your response!

  • Real Estate Agent · Keller, TX · Member since 2022 · 62 posts · 37 votes
    3y

    I'm sorry to hear that you're having a tough time with your current property manager. Before doing anything, it's important to review your property management agreement to see what the terms of termination are. Generally, there is a 30-day notice requirement, so make sure you follow those guidelines.

    Once you've sent the termination notice in writing, you should demand that the manager release the rent for this month, transfer over the deposit and keys, and provide all necessary tenant information. Keep calling, emailing, and texting the manager to get in contact. If they have a physical location, you could even go there to speak to them in person.

    Threatening a bad online review is not the most professional way to handle the situation, so try to avoid that. You want to keep things as amicable as possible, but if necessary, you may need to take legal action. Best of luck to you in resolving this situation.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    @Victoria Z. check your contract and then send a registered letter of termination. 

    Are they licensed?

    Report him to the state's Real Estate Board and Attorney General.

  • Investor · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Drew Sygit:

    @Victoria Z. check your contract and then send a registered letter of termination. 

    Are they licensed?

    Report him to the state's Real Estate Board and Attorney General.


     Thanks Drew, yes he is registered! I will report him. Any way I can do to get the rent? He is not picking up the phone at all.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    nothing you can directly do except put pressure on them.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.