How To Transfer Utilities Into Tenant's Name

How To Transfer Utilities Into Tenant's Name

Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 155 posts · 44 votes

Hello BP Friends,

I am sending out a lease for signature today. This will be the first lease I have ever sent out fro LTR.

How do I go about putting all of the current utilities into my tenants name?

I will need to put:

1. Internet

2. Water/trash

3. Electricity

Thanks in advance,

Nick

0Reply
244 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
3y

Tell the tenant they need to make this happen by x date and schedule the utilities to be cut off from your name on that day.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 155 posts · 44 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ryan Kelly:

    @Nicholas Aja the way to do it is you cancel the utilities in your name with an end date. The tenant then calls the utility providers and sets up new accounts in their name. It’s no different than if you sold the home and a new buyer moved in and set up their new utilities.


     Thanks, Ryan!

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    Some cities, such as Little Elm, require that you register the house as a rental before they speak with tenants about transferring utilities to their name. In addition, Landlord will (most likely) pay an annual renewal fee. Awful city.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Hello BP Friends,

    I am sending out a lease for signature today. This will be the first lease I have ever sent out fro LTR.

    How do I go about putting all of the current utilities into my tenants name?

    I will need to put:

    1. Internet

    2. Water/trash

    3. Electricity

    Thanks in advance,

    Nick

     The tenant calls the utility co's 

    PLEASE hire a PM co this will not end well. What are you going to do when and if they do not pay rent, or have to evict, PLEASE hire a PM co,  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.