Tenants want shed- advice needed

Tenants want shed- advice needed

Member since 2021 · 88 posts · 20 votes

Hello,

I’ve got a rental property that has an inherited tenant in it. When I bought the property, it was very messy in the backyard with huge piles of buried trash (old tile and toilets from past bathroom remodels dumped into a hole in the ground) and a very old shed that had things hoarded in it. The tenant claims that all of the buried piles of trash and the shed were all there when she first started renting 5 years ago, and wants to purchase a new shed because she needs a place to store items. I originally told her I didn’t want more items piled up everywhere making a mess, and told her I would only allow one shed on the premises. Eventually, I got tired of the mess in the yard and hired a large dump trailer to help me to clean out the entire backyard, removing all the trash and the old shed. Now, my question is; should I allow the tenant to purchase a new shed and place it on the property? They seem to be a decent tenant for the most part, not perfect but not terrible either. Or is allowing them to purchase this shed and place it where the old one was a big mistake ?

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
3y

I would only permit a shed that I owned on the property. I'd probably do a 5 yr ROI so if I paid $5000, her rent would increase $85/month for the use of the shed. I'm pretty transparent with tenants regarding my required ROI when they request a property improvement.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    Why not buy a shed and install it or let them and it stays with the house?

  • Investor · Vermont and New York · Member since 2023 · 308 posts · 309 votes
    3y
    If I were in your shoes I would allow them to buy a shed.  If it is a metal shed then they have to remove it when they move out. 
    And/or you can approve the shed type.  I don't see a reason to not allow shed.  Assuming you have security deposit in case they leave things in the shed.

    Also - make sure they follow setbacks and any other local zoning with regards to the shed.

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    I would only permit a shed that I owned on the property. I'd probably do a 5 yr ROI so if I paid $5000, her rent would increase $85/month for the use of the shed. I'm pretty transparent with tenants regarding my required ROI when they request a property improvement.

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Aloha,

    The less storage space you provide, the less likely you are to end up paying to clean it out someday...and find potentially costly hazardous waste to deal with...
  • Member since 2023 · 6 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    As some said I would be careful on zoning rules and make sure you don’t need to pull a permit. It’s a real pain if you get a citation 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sam Zawatsky:

    I think you're asking the wrong question.

    Your words: "They seem to be a decent tenant for the most part, not perfect but not terrible either." They are living in a property that was "very messy" with "huge piles of buried trash" and a "very old shed that had things hoarded in it."

    So you have a "not terrible" tenant that accepts living in a dump for five years and your question is whether you should let her move more stuff onto the property? If someone is willing to live with trash, they are not good Tenants. I would move her out, clean the place up, and put someone in there that enjoys living in a decent home instead of a trash pile. They'll pay more, stay longer, and take better care of the property.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Since you asked..Tenant sounds like a hoarder. No shed. And keep the yard clean or youre out! Write it in the lease. Your neighbors may appreciate it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.