Tenants with 5 small dogs? Is it a good idea?

Tenants with 5 small dogs? Is it a good idea?

Vicki X.Pro Member
Investor · Member since 2022 · 186 posts · 155 votes

Hello, a family applied to rent my house. They are great and have "5 Pomeranians. All shots are up to date and they are seniors."

The dogs have been living in their house (which they are selling) and things are under control.

Is it a good idea? What additional info shall I ask and what amount of pet deposit is reasonable for such a large dog family? The house is in Houston area. Thanks!

0Reply
222 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

I'm going against the grain here but I really wouldn't have a problem with it.  I charge a 35/month pet rent and usually add a $600 refundable deposit which I may double for 5 dogs.  This is an extra 175/month and I have never personally had issues with dog damage and it is a pretty nice revenue stream for me.  If they are breeding that is a different story but as long as they are fixed we are all good as long as everything else checks out.  

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Thomas NordbergPro Member
    Realtor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 17 votes
    3y

    I agree with @Adam Martin in that the only way I am engaging this is a monthly rate per pet. A key piece of info here is what kind of flooring your unit has throughout. If you have tile floors throughout I would be much more amenable to this than if the unit was heavily carpeted. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Thomas Nordberg:

    I agree with @Adam Martin in that the only way I am engaging this is a monthly rate per pet. A key piece of info here is what kind of flooring your unit has throughout. If you have tile floors throughout I would be much more amenable to this than if the unit was heavily carpeted. 

    For sure.  All my homes either have lvp throughout or serviceable carpet that was here when I bought it and will be replaced with lvp when the time comes.  Carpet is gross as anyone who has pulled it can attest.  I guess I have been lucky but with my extra deposit I feel pretty safe.  As for cats I’m allergic and they are gross so there is no way but my allergies may make me more biased than most.  I also don’t have size restrictions but do have the standard breed restrictions that Travelers gave me.  There may be a slight dog smell and some dander but my target renter is nose blind to it because I target people with dogs for the additional deposit and monthly rent.  I go as far as to make sure I have fences to encourage dogs. If they check out on paper you can charge what you feel is reasonable because they have few alternatives.  

  • Jay ThomasPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 715 votes
    3y

    When it comes to pets, this is especially true. I never allow pets in my own rentals, but if you choose to do so, at least ensure that you include a clause in your agreement limiting the number of replacements for any pet allowed on the premises. This will help prevent tenants from swapping out their pets without permission and leaving them in dangerous or otherwise unsuitable conditions. By taking these basic precautions, you can provide yourself with some peace of mind when renting out your properties.

  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2022 · 482 posts · 768 votes
    3y

    It comes how desperate are you and is there a high demand of tenants in that neighborhood @Carlos Valencia @Albert Bui 

  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    3y

    @Vicki X.- have you visited them in their present home ?  What does it smell and look like ?  Use this as a factor in your decsion making .   Is the home you are renting fenced ?  Have you ever  allowed pets  before ?   In general - I would say  no  or   a limit of  2 small animals  with a  monthly  premium  added ...5  dogs  sounds like a problem to me

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Picking a tenant is all about risk mitigation vs reward. No matter how great the tenant appears, you can't get rid of ALL risk, but your job is to maximize your profit and keep your risk as low as possible. 

    Have 5 dogs is a HUGE risk...yes you could MAYBE make some extra $$ with pet fees etc.... but you could easily lose a ton of $$ with damages.... or the hassles of neighbor complaints from 5 barking little dogs etc etc. In my mind, not worth the risk. 

    The only way I would even remotely consider this is if the tenants are rock stars on every other level, willing to pay a HUGE deposit, a reasonable monthly pet fee AND I can tour/inspect their current residence and its IMMACULATE.... which it won't be.....

    I let pets at one of my units.. and not the other......

    And I'm a DVM....so dont get me started on some of the stupid comments about pets in the replies

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 385 posts · 197 votes
    3y

    We have a limit of two pets per unit so that would be a big no for us.

  • Rental Property Investor · Reno, NV · Member since 2013 · 77 posts · 31 votes
    3y

    @Vicki X. Heck no. Senior dogs leave puddles everywhere. Multiple other end of life issues such as poop problems, blindness and fear aggression. I would never allow it

  • Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 238 votes
    3y

    No, 5 is too many

  • Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 238 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Richard F.:

    Aloha,

    I never allow pets, but...

    How is it working for you? 
    I tried it and the tenant still went ahead and got a dog and a cat...
    Lived in the property for one year, moved out and the carpet smelled like pee.
    Now I allow but charge a pet rent, which is 35$ per pet per month. 
    At least I will have some money to replace the carpet or have it professionally cleaned...
  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 22 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Vicki X.:

    Hello, a family applied to rent my house. They are great and have "5 Pomeranians. All shots are up to date and they are seniors."

    The dogs have been living in their house (which they are selling) and things are under control.

    Is it a good idea? What additional info shall I ask and what amount of pet deposit is reasonable for such a large dog family? The house is in Houston area. Thanks!


     The tenants might be fine, or maybe not. 

    One definite though - the neighbors are going to HATE 5 yippers.  

    And I train dogs to be therapy dogs. 

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mary Jay:
    Quote from @Richard F.:

    Aloha,

    I never allow pets, but...

    How is it working for you? 
    I tried it and the tenant still went ahead and got a dog and a cat...
    Lived in the property for one year, moved out and the carpet smelled like pee.
    Now I allow but charge a pet rent, which is 35$ per pet per month. 
    At least I will have some money to replace the carpet or have it professionally cleaned...

     99.5 % effective, over the past 10 years approximately 125 rentals, three unauthorized pets have been brought in, under the radar and undiscovered until inspection/move out, all cats. I've had 2 dogs that were snuck in, but once questioned about it, of course tenant claimed ESA. "No problem, here is our written policy on that. Our Assistance Animal Policy was mentioned during the signing process, and you made no reference of a need at that time. You have 30 days to become compliant". One got rid of the dog, the other acquired the necessary documents and is able to keep the animal. Only one of the cat owners ended up costing our client money...they trashed the place worse than the cat! The others were professionally cleaned, or carpets replaced, and re-rented.

  • Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 238 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Richard F.:
    Quote from @Mary Jay:
    Quote from @Richard F.:

    Aloha,

    I never allow pets, but...

    How is it working for you? 
    I tried it and the tenant still went ahead and got a dog and a cat...
    Lived in the property for one year, moved out and the carpet smelled like pee.
    Now I allow but charge a pet rent, which is 35$ per pet per month. 
    At least I will have some money to replace the carpet or have it professionally cleaned...

     99.5 % effective, over the past 10 years approximately 125 rentals, three unauthorized pets have been brought in, under the radar and undiscovered until inspection/move out, all cats. I've had 2 dogs that were snuck in, but once questioned about it, of course tenant claimed ESA. "No problem, here is our written policy on that. Our Assistance Animal Policy was mentioned during the signing process, and you made no reference of a need at that time. You have 30 days to become compliant". One got rid of the dog, the other acquired the necessary documents and is able to keep the animal. Only one of the cat owners ended up costing our client money...they trashed the place worse than the cat! The others were professionally cleaned, or carpets replaced, and re-rented.


     Nice! 

    Thank you for sharing!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.