How to manage if have more than 5 properties?

How to manage if have more than 5 properties?

Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 238 votes

Hi guys, I have 5 properties and I am struggling to manage them. I do have a full time job and a family but besides that, its only 5 properties. By managing I mean paying utilities when the tenant moves out, getting a new tenant in, paying mortgages , keeping track of expenses for taxes and which mortgage company sold which mortgage to who and registering on the new companies  website so I could pay the monthly mortgage...

I know a full time job does take a lot of my time. But I dont have many properties either.

How do people deal with 100-200 properties? 

May be they have bookkeepers? Or their accountants are paying mortgages for them? 

But you have to trust those people. You hear so many stories about athletes who trusted someone but those people scammed them out of their money...

I would love to expand but not sure how if I am already struggling with only 5 properties...

3Reply
206 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Vermont and New York · Member since 2023 · 308 posts · 309 votes
3y
1. Set up all your payments on autopay or bill pay. (mortgage, utilities, etc)
2. set up all rent collection so it is hands-off - they either sign up for ACH auto debit or go to a bank branch and deposit into your account
3. have a checklist you follow for all move in and move out activities.  like switching utilities et.  The company may have a way to automatically revert to your name when a tenant cancels.  
4. Hire a part time assistant to do a lot of the menial cookie-cutter things - again - you need a checklist.
5. use software to track all expenses etc.  Google Stessa, buildium, etc.
6. Write down all the tasks that are part of your work flow for property.  Automate and delegate as many as you can.  You don't NEED a property manager - you need to be more effective at the role.

I had my hands full managing 10 units years ago - I used paper and pencil, then spreadsheets.  That sucked.
Sold all but one of those in 2006.

Last year I went from managing on SFR to a total of 23 units.  I realized I had to automate and use tools.
I still need to streamline - mostly with follow ups on late rent payments and sending letters.  And tracking maintenance issues.

See this reply in the discussion

47 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 238 votes
    3y

    And I get it, property management companies help to find new tenants and place them, but I still have to pay utilities when the tenant moves out, pay mortgages, keep track of which property management transferred the money into my bank account and which has not, so I have to call them to ask if the tenant paid or the management company is being slow,  making sure termite treatment/maintenance on the property has been done, etc...

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    You know the answer, hire a property manager. If you can streamline 10, you can streamline 100. Build a efficient system.

  • Investor · Vermont and New York · Member since 2023 · 308 posts · 309 votes
    3y
    1. Set up all your payments on autopay or bill pay. (mortgage, utilities, etc)
    2. set up all rent collection so it is hands-off - they either sign up for ACH auto debit or go to a bank branch and deposit into your account
    3. have a checklist you follow for all move in and move out activities.  like switching utilities et.  The company may have a way to automatically revert to your name when a tenant cancels.  
    4. Hire a part time assistant to do a lot of the menial cookie-cutter things - again - you need a checklist.
    5. use software to track all expenses etc.  Google Stessa, buildium, etc.
    6. Write down all the tasks that are part of your work flow for property.  Automate and delegate as many as you can.  You don't NEED a property manager - you need to be more effective at the role.

    I had my hands full managing 10 units years ago - I used paper and pencil, then spreadsheets.  That sucked.
    Sold all but one of those in 2006.

    Last year I went from managing on SFR to a total of 23 units.  I realized I had to automate and use tools.
    I still need to streamline - mostly with follow ups on late rent payments and sending letters.  And tracking maintenance issues.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    Set up as much as possible so it is automatic. I've never had a mortgage company change on me, but I have mortgage payments set up to automatically come out of my bank account. Property taxes for those not attached to the mortgage get paid as soon as I get the bill in the mail (I can post date the payment).  Insurance is automatically renewed every year without me having to do anything, also on autopay.

    Anything you need to do once a year, add it to your calendar with a reminder.

    Being organized helps as you don't have to remember to do things or look for things.  Fill all of your invoices/bills after they are paid (and write paid on them) in your tax folder.  Have a folder for each property.

  • Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 238 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Eliott Elias:

    You know the answer, hire a property manager. If you can streamline 10, you can streamline 100. Build a efficient system.


     Property managers don't do those things that I am asking about...

  • Member since 2023 · 15 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    Try to take small steps to make things easier.  Set up automatic mortgage payments.  Make your utility payments automatic.   Make it easy for your tenants to send you money directly.  I manage 15 properties at the moment and find it fairly easy.  I do all the repairs and maintenance as well.  You don't need expensive programs or property managers to manage rentals.  All I use is a computer, printer, and my phone.  Try to keep everything organized.  Have a binder or folder for each property.   Put a copy of every expense and rent payment in the right folder.  I've been managing for almost 10 years.  It gets easier the longer you do it.  You'll find better systems.   Good luck!

  • Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 238 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:

    Set up as much as possible so it is automatic. I've never had a mortgage company change on me, but I have mortgage payments set up to automatically come out of my bank account. Property taxes for those not attached to the mortgage get paid as soon as I get the bill in the mail (I can post date the payment).  Insurance is automatically renewed every year without me having to do anything, also on autopay.

    Anything you need to do once a year, add it to your calendar with a reminder.

    Being organized helps as you don't have to remember to do things or look for things.  Fill all of your invoices/bills after they are paid (and write paid on them) in your tax folder.  Have a folder for each property.


     Thank you!

    " I've never had a mortgage company change on me"

    How is that possible? All my loans were sold to a different mortgage company Withing the first 6 months after the purchase. Then in some cases, after 4-5 years some were sold again...

     "Have a folder for each property."

    Thats a great advice! Thank you!

  • Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 238 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Try to take small steps to make things easier.  Set up automatic mortgage payments.  Make your utility payments automatic.   Make it easy for your tenants to send you money directly.  I manage 15 properties at the moment and find it fairly easy.  I do all the repairs and maintenance as well.  You don't need expensive programs or property managers to manage rentals.  All I use is a computer, printer, and my phone.  Try to keep everything organized.  Have a binder or folder for each property.   Put a copy of every expense and rent payment in the right folder.  I've been managing for almost 10 years.  It gets easier the longer you do it.  You'll find better systems.   Good luck!


     Do you have a full time job besides managing those properties?

    The reason I am asking is: I was thinking that may be I should go part time so life would be easier for me...

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mary Jay:
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:

    Set up as much as possible so it is automatic. I've never had a mortgage company change on me, but I have mortgage payments set up to automatically come out of my bank account. Property taxes for those not attached to the mortgage get paid as soon as I get the bill in the mail (I can post date the payment).  Insurance is automatically renewed every year without me having to do anything, also on autopay.

    Anything you need to do once a year, add it to your calendar with a reminder.

    Being organized helps as you don't have to remember to do things or look for things.  Fill all of your invoices/bills after they are paid (and write paid on them) in your tax folder.  Have a folder for each property.


     Thank you!

    " I've never had a mortgage company change on me"

    How is that possible? All my loans were sold to a different mortgage company Withing the first 6 months after the purchase. Then in some cases, after 4-5 years some were sold again...

     "Have a folder for each property."

    Thats a great advice! Thank you!


     I'm in Canada and I get my mortgages through my bank.

  • Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 238 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tim J.:
    1. Set up all your payments on autopay or bill pay. (mortgage, utilities, etc)
    2. set up all rent collection so it is hands-off - they either sign up for ACH auto debit or go to a bank branch and deposit into your account
    3. have a checklist you follow for all move in and move out activities.  like switching utilities et.  The company may have a way to automatically revert to your name when a tenant cancels.  
    4. Hire a part time assistant to do a lot of the menial cookie-cutter things - again - you need a checklist.
    5. use software to track all expenses etc.  Google Stessa, buildium, etc.
    6. Write down all the tasks that are part of your work flow for property.  Automate and delegate as many as you can.  You don't NEED a property manager - you need to be more effective at the role.

    I had my hands full managing 10 units years ago - I used paper and pencil, then spreadsheets.  That sucked.
    Sold all but one of those in 2006.

    Last year I went from managing on SFR to a total of 23 units.  I realized I had to automate and use tools.
    I still need to streamline - mostly with follow ups on late rent payments and sending letters.  And tracking maintenance issues.


     Thank you, Tim!

  • Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 238 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:
    Quote from @Mary Jay:
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:

    Set up as much as possible so it is automatic. I've never had a mortgage company change on me, but I have mortgage payments set up to automatically come out of my bank account. Property taxes for those not attached to the mortgage get paid as soon as I get the bill in the mail (I can post date the payment).  Insurance is automatically renewed every year without me having to do anything, also on autopay.

    Anything you need to do once a year, add it to your calendar with a reminder.

    Being organized helps as you don't have to remember to do things or look for things.  Fill all of your invoices/bills after they are paid (and write paid on them) in your tax folder.  Have a folder for each property.


     Thank you!

    " I've never had a mortgage company change on me"

    How is that possible? All my loans were sold to a different mortgage company Withing the first 6 months after the purchase. Then in some cases, after 4-5 years some were sold again...

     "Have a folder for each property."

    Thats a great advice! Thank you!


     I'm in Canada and I get my mortgages through my bank.

    Thank you!
  • Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 238 votes
    3y

    Do you guys who manages more than 5-7 properties, do you also have full time jobs besides managing those properties? Or may be you have a spouse that manages them for you?

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mary Jay:

    Do you guys who manages more than 5-7 properties, do you also have full time jobs besides managing those properties? Or may be you have a spouse that manages them for you?


     I have 5.  Two have a PM (due to potential conflict of interest with the tenant pool and my job) and the others are self managed.  Most have one or two things come up each year, but I call a repair person to deal with it.

  • Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 238 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:
    Quote from @Mary Jay:

    Do you guys who manages more than 5-7 properties, do you also have full time jobs besides managing those properties? Or may be you have a spouse that manages them for you?


     I have 5.  Two have a PM (due to potential conflict of interest with the tenant pool and my job) and the others are self managed.  Most have one or two things come up each year, but I call a repair person to deal with it.

     Thank you, Theresa! How many properties are you planning on having in the future?

  • Member since 2023 · 15 posts · 11 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mary Jay:
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Try to take small steps to make things easier.  Set up automatic mortgage payments.  Make your utility payments automatic.   Make it easy for your tenants to send you money directly.  I manage 15 properties at the moment and find it fairly easy.  I do all the repairs and maintenance as well.  You don't need expensive programs or property managers to manage rentals.  All I use is a computer, printer, and my phone.  Try to keep everything organized.  Have a binder or folder for each property.   Put a copy of every expense and rent payment in the right folder.  I've been managing for almost 10 years.  It gets easier the longer you do it.  You'll find better systems.   Good luck!


     Do you have a full time job besides managing those properties?

    The reason I am asking is: I was thinking that may be I should go part time so life would be easier for me...


     I do work full time.  Fortunately I have flexible hours.  But I really only need that if there's something urgent which doesn't happen often.   What part is causing you the most headaches?

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mary Jay:
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:
    Quote from @Mary Jay:

    Do you guys who manages more than 5-7 properties, do you also have full time jobs besides managing those properties? Or may be you have a spouse that manages them for you?


     I have 5.  Two have a PM (due to potential conflict of interest with the tenant pool and my job) and the others are self managed.  Most have one or two things come up each year, but I call a repair person to deal with it.

     Thank you, Theresa! How many properties are you planning on having in the future?


     Not sure if I'll be buying anymore.  If I do, I'd sell one and buy another.

  • Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 238 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Mary Jay:
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Try to take small steps to make things easier.  Set up automatic mortgage payments.  Make your utility payments automatic.   Make it easy for your tenants to send you money directly.  I manage 15 properties at the moment and find it fairly easy.  I do all the repairs and maintenance as well.  You don't need expensive programs or property managers to manage rentals.  All I use is a computer, printer, and my phone.  Try to keep everything organized.  Have a binder or folder for each property.   Put a copy of every expense and rent payment in the right folder.  I've been managing for almost 10 years.  It gets easier the longer you do it.  You'll find better systems.   Good luck!


     Do you have a full time job besides managing those properties?

    The reason I am asking is: I was thinking that may be I should go part time so life would be easier for me...


     I do work full time.  Fortunately I have flexible hours.  But I really only need that if there's something urgent which doesn't happen often.   What part is causing you the most headaches?

     The fact that I dont have any days off. On my days off from my regular work I deal with my rentals...

    I am tired... 

    I take a vacation, but then I come back and its the same thing... Working non stop till another vacation.

    I cant say rentals take up much time, may be its the whole thing, cooking, cleaning house, taking my kid to a doctor, etc...

    It all adds up and that is why I feel like I have no work-life balance...

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mary Jay:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Mary Jay:
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Try to take small steps to make things easier.  Set up automatic mortgage payments.  Make your utility payments automatic.   Make it easy for your tenants to send you money directly.  I manage 15 properties at the moment and find it fairly easy.  I do all the repairs and maintenance as well.  You don't need expensive programs or property managers to manage rentals.  All I use is a computer, printer, and my phone.  Try to keep everything organized.  Have a binder or folder for each property.   Put a copy of every expense and rent payment in the right folder.  I've been managing for almost 10 years.  It gets easier the longer you do it.  You'll find better systems.   Good luck!


     Do you have a full time job besides managing those properties?

    The reason I am asking is: I was thinking that may be I should go part time so life would be easier for me...


     I do work full time.  Fortunately I have flexible hours.  But I really only need that if there's something urgent which doesn't happen often.   What part is causing you the most headaches?

     The fact that I dont have any days off. On my days off from my regular work I deal with my rentals...

    I am tired... 

    I take a vacation, but then I come back and its the same thing... Working non stop till another vacation.

    I cant say rentals take up much time, may be its the whole thing, cooking, cleaning house, taking my kid to a doctor, etc...

    It all adds up and that is why I feel like I have no work-life balance...


     What type of rentals do you have?  If you are having to work on them all the time, why not sell them off slowly and replace them with more turn key rentals (ie ones that don't need as much work).  Sometimes you get a bad tenant and lots of repair requests, but that is not the norm.

  • Member since 2023 · 15 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    I think everyone feels that way at some point.  Do you think owning the rentals will help you spend more time with your family in the future?  I go months without a day off and actually enjoy it.  I know what I am working towards.  The sacrifice now will pay off in the future.  Start by getting organized and trying to automate some of your payments.  It gets easier!

  • Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 238 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:
    Quote from @Mary Jay:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Mary Jay:
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Try to take small steps to make things easier.  Set up automatic mortgage payments.  Make your utility payments automatic.   Make it easy for your tenants to send you money directly.  I manage 15 properties at the moment and find it fairly easy.  I do all the repairs and maintenance as well.  You don't need expensive programs or property managers to manage rentals.  All I use is a computer, printer, and my phone.  Try to keep everything organized.  Have a binder or folder for each property.   Put a copy of every expense and rent payment in the right folder.  I've been managing for almost 10 years.  It gets easier the longer you do it.  You'll find better systems.   Good luck!


     Do you have a full time job besides managing those properties?

    The reason I am asking is: I was thinking that may be I should go part time so life would be easier for me...


     I do work full time.  Fortunately I have flexible hours.  But I really only need that if there's something urgent which doesn't happen often.   What part is causing you the most headaches?

     The fact that I dont have any days off. On my days off from my regular work I deal with my rentals...

    I am tired... 

    I take a vacation, but then I come back and its the same thing... Working non stop till another vacation.

    I cant say rentals take up much time, may be its the whole thing, cooking, cleaning house, taking my kid to a doctor, etc...

    It all adds up and that is why I feel like I have no work-life balance...


     What type of rentals do you have?  If you are having to work on them all the time, why not sell them off slowly and replace them with more turn key rentals (ie ones that don't need as much work).  Sometimes you get a bad tenant and lots of repair requests, but that is not the norm.


     Well, one of my tenants is a section 8 in Florida, and I am getting her out because she was too needy and not clean. One tenant just got evicted in Arizona. Everybody else is ok, knock on the wood... So 2 tenants turn over withing 3 month might be a bit difficult...

  • Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 238 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    I think everyone feels that way at some point.  Do you think owning the rentals will help you spend more time with your family in the future?  I go months without a day off and actually enjoy it.  I know what I am working towards.  The sacrifice now will pay off in the future.  Start by getting organized and trying to automate some of your payments.  It gets easier!


     Thank you for your support, Teagan!

    And you are right, it will help me to spend more time with my family in the future... 

  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 22 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mary Jay:

    Hi guys, I have 5 properties and I am struggling to manage them. I do have a full time job and a family but besides that, its only 5 properties. By managing I mean paying utilities when the tenant moves out, getting a new tenant in, paying mortgages , keeping track of expenses for taxes and which mortgage company sold which mortgage to who and registering on the new companies  website so I could pay the monthly mortgage...

    I know a full time job does take a lot of my time. But I dont have many properties either.

    How do people deal with 100-200 properties? 

    May be they have bookkeepers? Or their accountants are paying mortgages for them? 

    But you have to trust those people. You hear so many stories about athletes who trusted someone but those people scammed them out of their money...

    I would love to expand but not sure how if I am already struggling with only 5 properties...


     I feel you on this one, Mary.  We did a 1031 exchange for all of our local homes and got into properties in a couple of Florida markets.  The freedom from property management is well worth the 8% (for 2 properties) and 10% (for 2 properties) of management fees.  

    Generally, people scale by getting into multifamily properties, self-storage, or other larger assets.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mary Jay:

    Do you guys who manages more than 5-7 properties, do you also have full time jobs besides managing those properties? Or may be you have a spouse that manages them for you?


     I only had 20 or so when I was working. No mortgages, I pay cash for everything. I easily tracked everything in Excel. It only took a few hours per month to manage. Problems came in via text and forwarded them to my handyman. Took seconds to handle.

    Have more properties now, still use Excel. My time goes toward acquiring more properties and rehabbing them for a tenant.  I check on rehabs once a week.  I write checks and the rest of the week is my time to do what I want.

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mary Jay:
    Quote from @Eliott Elias:

    You know the answer, hire a property manager. If you can streamline 10, you can streamline 100. Build a efficient system.


     Property managers don't do those things that I am asking about...


    Aloha,

    That must be an AZ thing then, or else you are not talking with legit PMs. We do all of those tasks and more here; and previously in another state PM tasks were identical.
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 294 posts · 142 votes
    3y

    @Richard F.

    You pay mortgages, follow up with ARM, renew insurance policies, organize documents to file taxes and even file property tax appeals for the homeowners?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.