Rental Deal Analysis: Rochester New York 4-Plex

Rental Deal Analysis: Rochester New York 4-Plex

santa ana, CA · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 2 votes

Hi all,

I would like to get your thoughts on some rental numbers:

Location: Rochester New York

Built: 1895 (recently remodeled roof, electric, appliances, windows, etc.)

Sale Price: $247,500

Property Tax: 8,300 per year

Interest Rate: 6.875%/ 30 yr.

Units: 4 units (2 bed, 1 bath each)

Sqft: 5274 sqft.

Projected Monthly Gross Rental Income: $4,000 (1k per unit)

Vacancy: 5%

Monthly Operating Expenses: $1,600

Monthly Cash Flow: $1,002

Appreciation: 2% per year

Income Increase: 1% per year

IRR at Year 5: 20.2%

CoC Return at Year 5: 18.7%

Equity Multiple at Year 5: 2.07 (3.68 at year 10)

Looks good to me, but anything else that we should look at?

This is pending a good deal on insurance, because a 7k per year policy kills the cash flow.

Hoping the high taxes/insurance provide a nice write off.

Any thoughts appreciated! :)

0Reply
17 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    Tenants pay water? You got a PM, snow removal and gardening included? Are you getting Estoppel certs to verify rents and deposits etc. I would get an extra thorough inspection and walk every unit. I don't need to say that is an old building; make sure the electrical and plumbing has all been replaced. Even if you don't think you will have capex expenses set money aside now if you go ahead. All the best!

  • Jordan SmithPro Member
    Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    Hey Brandon. Born and raised in Rochester and currently own/house hack a 3-family here. 

    I am curious what area this is located in, a purchase price of ~$250k for a 4-unit tells me you're in a lower class area. Can probably give you some more detail on that if needed.

    Old houses are typical in the area though, mine's 1890!

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2015 · 499 posts · 169 votes
    3y

    Insurance won't be 7k..but looks solid--2 bed 1 bath units are great

  • Member since 2021 · 166 posts · 113 votes
    3y

    @Brandon Lashmet I am pretty sure you are talking about 195 Bloss St based on the specs above (I looked at it too). My insurance quote came to $5100, which absolutely killed the cash flow (and my interest). The insurance premium is based on the square footage to rebuild the house today. Its a large house and the rebuild cost was estimated to be $896K.

    I hope you can find a better rate, even if its not the same property. And as you can probably tell, I am also a Rochester investor, if you find something you want to partner on. I'm searching for 4-plex+ properties, but they are a rarity these days...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.