Is there a NJ bank that makes managing 10+ security escrow accounts online easy?

Is there a NJ bank that makes managing 10+ security escrow accounts online easy?

Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes

NJ requires an interest bearing account. My commercial bank just quoted me $1400 per year to have online service to do this for my 12 units!!! How do other midsize landlords with escrow requirements handle this? The branch employees are poorly trained to handle this, every time I opened a new tenant's account it was a nightmare, they got it wrong in different ways ALL THE TIME!

NJ Law:
The person receiving money so deposited or advanced shall:
a. (1) Invest that money in shares of an insured money market fund established by an
investment company based in this State and registered under the "Investment Company Act of
1940," 54 Stat. 789 (15 U.S.C. § 80a-1 et seq.) whose shares are registered under the "Securities
Act of 1933," 48 Stat. 74 (15 U.S.C. § 77a. et seq.) and the only investments of which fund are
instruments maturing in one year or less, or (2) deposit that money in a State or federally
chartered bank, savings bank or savings and loan association in this State insured by an agency
of the federal government in an account bearing a variable rate of interest, which shall be
established at least quarterly, which is similar to the average rate of interest on active interest bearing money market transaction accounts paid by the bank or association, or equal to similar accounts of an investment company described in paragraph (1) of this subsection.

0Reply
56 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
    3y

    Really? No larger NJ landlords or managers here?

  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
    3y

    I guess I get it, most people here are using real names and NJ managers don't want to admit they don't comply with the escrow law.

  • Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Good morning,

    I would like to talk to you about a solution my startup is creating that helps solve this issue. Feel free to message me directly and would love to setup a quick call about this.

    Chris

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y

    Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. Is everything okay now?

  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Chris Perrotta:

    Good morning,

    I would like to talk to you about a solution my startup is creating that helps solve this issue. Feel free to message me directly and would love to setup a quick call about this.

    Chris


     Sorry, but I'm not going to put $30k of tenants money into a startup that is not a federally insured financial institution.

  • Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Try Santander Bank. I was told they have a program to automatically send the interest to tenants. I tried to sign up, but was unable to because I was told it was only available for 10+ accounts. 

  • Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Johann Jells:
    Quote from @Chris Perrotta:

    Good morning,

    I would like to talk to you about a solution my startup is creating that helps solve this issue. Feel free to message me directly and would love to setup a quick call about this.

    Chris


     Sorry, but I'm not going to put $30k of tenants money into a startup that is not a federally insured financial institution.


     It is a custodied by a federally insured bank, I wouldn't put my tenant's (or mine) in something like that either.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.