HOA corporation changed management companies...............billing me irresponsibly

HOA corporation changed management companies...............billing me irresponsibly

Investor · efrat, israel · Member since 2014 · 93 posts · 20 votes

Thank you to anyone who can advise me in this situation. I bought an attached home in February of 2022. At that time there was a management company hired by the HOA corporation to whom I was to pay my monthly costs. I set up an ACH with my bank account as I prefer payments to be paid automatically. Meanwhile, with NO notice to me, the HOA corporation transferred to a NEW management company in January of 2023. I was not informed of this, nor did I realize that they stopped billing me at that time. I just found this out as at last the NEW management company sent me letters to my home address informing me of the change, and that I was PAST DUE on payments and they had the gall to add monthly late fees to the bill even though they had not informed me of the change, nor of the fact that a new ACH needed to be set up. I got on the phone with the new management company immediately. No real reception to my problems. All they respond is that all the landlords are having similar issues. Really? Meanwhile they send me two more bills. One is billing me for fees from BEFORE I even purchased the house. To this, I sent them my ALTA from when I bought the house. They do not respond. Another bill is billing me for a transfer fee from one management company to another....wouldn't the HOA corporation need to pay for this as it is their doing? I have been unsuccessful at reaching the old management company. Go figure: they did not even have me listed as landlord, but had the old landlord listed, which is what they gave to the new management company. I filled out a form for the new management company to set them straight, but they are not responding in kind to my questions about the bills. What should I do?

0Reply
22 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Aloha,

    In my experience, it is unfortunately VERY common for Owners to disregard routine mailings from the Management Company, AND to NOT update Management when their own mailing address, email, and phone contact info changes. Those mailings often include notice of change in Management, change in monthly fees, HOA budget or insurance information, and other items that are actually very important to homeowners. But, you have to open them and read them to find out. They also fail to require their own Rental Agent to notify. It is absolutely your responsibility to keep Management updated with all contact info, often including your Renter's info. Phone calls, texts, and, to a lesser extent, emails are a waste of time for providing critical information.

    You should send updates to Management via Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested, so you have a record of doing so. Then if you get late fees or other charges due to mishandling in their office, you can prove that fact. Otherwise, if you just refuse to pay the fees and charges, you will end up getting foreclosed on by the HOA.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.