Tenant needs extra time after moving out

Tenant needs extra time after moving out

Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes

I have a situation developing that I need advice on.

Single family home, lease is expiring, tenant is scheduled to move out end of this month.

I didn't even advertise online, just put a for rent sign in the yard last week and already have 5 people called me expressing interest to rent.

I called tenant and spoke to him to schedule a move out inspection, where he would also surrender his keys, I will need his new physical address, and I reminded him about turning off water, electric, cable TV etc...

He said no problem, BUT...the fireworks and his boat will need another week or two.

He has parked a sailboat on the property. He is a restaurant owner and have piled a ton of firewood in the backyard for his BBQ and pizza oven, both of those I OKed in the lease. But now he is saying it will be an extra week or two for those to be moved and cleaned out.

Now, I don't have a problem to be accommodating, but I am just thinking if on Jan 31, I did a move out inspection with him, then a week later when he moves his boat we knocks off a palm tree and a fence post, then what? Who is he going to send to unload the wood in the fenced backyard? What if their wheel barrow runs over my new sod?

Is this a potential issue? Or should I let his boat and firewood stay longer?

What if I get it rented in 2 days and it starts to interfere with the new tenant?

I can't delay my move out inspection either.


0Reply
133 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2013 · 788 posts · 285 votes
12y
As my famous mentor Yoda once said "do or do not, there is no try" Either he is moved out or he isn't, there is no halfway. If he wants to keep his stuff there, he can rent it for another month. If he doesn't want to pay, then maybe that will motivate him to get his stuff out. It's not like he didn't know this day was coming. It's just another lame excuse a tenant gives to landlords. What happens when that stuff is there is 60 days because (insert lame excuse) What if your new tenant gets hurt on it? Or damages it? Or it ends up stolen? Have a clean break. He is either totally out or he pays.
See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    12y

    No I did not enter the property this morning when he didn't show since I know technically he's rented the place till midnight.

    There are some stuff still in the car port, not sure if those are his "possessions" or trash. Boat is still there. Firewood still there.

    I finally got a call from him just now, and said he's got some sort of emergency and can't do the move out inspection till next week. I told him the lease agreement ends tonight at midnight and I will be there tomorrow morning doing my walk through, he does not need to be there, I will document everything with pictures and videos.

    Now, as for the boat...he said if he could leave it there for "a bit longer". I told him, the boat, the firewood, the stuff in the car port, and whatever in the house are going to be considered abandoned property come tomorrow morning, and it's best he removes them today, because I don't really want to have to deal with that.

    The rest of the trash, if he doesn't clean them out, I will hire someone to dispose of them, and he would have to pay that out of the security deposit.

  • Investor · Delaware, OH · Member since 2013 · 224 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    Sorry to hear the tenant is leaving you in a lurch like this. How absurd wanting to move it until next week. Just absurd.

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I didn't realize what a jerk the tenant was when I wrote my first post. I would tell him that he needs to move that crap ASAP. It sounds like you are double parked with a new tenant waiting on standby? If yes, I would tell the guy leaving that he needs to remove his junk right now or you're charging him for the entire month of February.

    If everything from the house is gone, this could be a real gray area. You might have to start eviction against him.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.