Metro Phoenix eviction filings soared to a new record in October

Metro Phoenix eviction filings soared to a new record in October

Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes

"The Maricopa County Justice Courts saw more eviction cases filed in October than in any month this century," said spokesperson Scott Davis.

Maricopa County eviction filings are on pace to top 82,000 in 2023. That will be the highest annual count of renters in danger of losing their homes since the Great Recession in 2007.

"Property owners continue to work with their residents to keep people in their homes," said Courtney Gilstrap LeVinus, CEO of the Arizona Multihousing Association, the state's biggest property owner group. "We know people are struggling. When people can't pay their rent, eviction is typically the last resort."

The average judgment for metro Phoenix renters facing eviction in October was $3,173. In 2005, the average judgment in an eviction case was $1,526.

Last month's average judgment is more than double the Valley's median rent.

0Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Account Closed:
Quote from @Henry T.:
Seattle 3300 for 2023. According to eviction lab, which I don't really trust. What makes Phoenix 20 times higher? Ease of filing?

I'm from Seattle. Magnolia. I've owned properties all over Seattle and the suburbs.  I'm now in Scottsdale AZ. There is no comparison in how much more direct things are in Maricopa county. Contracts are honored and the courts enforce them. That's all. Just more business friendly. Seattle is tenant friendly. And anti police by the way. And has a huge homeless problem. Oh well, you get what you vote for.

 Congratulations Mike on your successful Seattle exit. I envy you. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Noah CorwickPro Member
    Realtor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 274 posts · 117 votes
    2y

    Interesting insight to share. Thanks Mike! 

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Seattle 3300 for 2023. According to eviction lab, which I don't really trust. What makes Phoenix 20 times higher? Ease of filing?

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Henry T.:
    Seattle 3300 for 2023. According to eviction lab, which I don't really trust. What makes Phoenix 20 times higher? Ease of filing?

    I'm from Seattle. Magnolia. I've owned properties all over Seattle and the suburbs.  I'm now in Scottsdale AZ. There is no comparison in how much more direct things are in Maricopa county. Contracts are honored and the courts enforce them. That's all. Just more business friendly. Seattle is tenant friendly. And anti police by the way. And has a huge homeless problem. Oh well, you get what you vote for.
  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Henry T.:
    Seattle 3300 for 2023. According to eviction lab, which I don't really trust. What makes Phoenix 20 times higher? Ease of filing?

    I'm from Seattle. Magnolia. I've owned properties all over Seattle and the suburbs.  I'm now in Scottsdale AZ. There is no comparison in how much more direct things are in Maricopa county. Contracts are honored and the courts enforce them. That's all. Just more business friendly. Seattle is tenant friendly. And anti police by the way. And has a huge homeless problem. Oh well, you get what you vote for.

     Congratulations Mike on your successful Seattle exit. I envy you. 

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Henry T.:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Henry T.:
    Seattle 3300 for 2023. According to eviction lab, which I don't really trust. What makes Phoenix 20 times higher? Ease of filing?

    I'm from Seattle. Magnolia. I've owned properties all over Seattle and the suburbs.  I'm now in Scottsdale AZ. There is no comparison in how much more direct things are in Maricopa county. Contracts are honored and the courts enforce them. That's all. Just more business friendly. Seattle is tenant friendly. And anti police by the way. And has a huge homeless problem. Oh well, you get what you vote for.

     Congratulations Mike on your successful Seattle exit. I envy you. 

    I was there when Seafair was in diapers. Lol Boeing was the only game in town and the Space Needle was but imagination. Things changed. You can escape too. Click your heels and say "this is no place to be".  Beautiful city, it's just very poorly run now. 
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.