Should I hire an attorney to draw up a lease?

Should I hire an attorney to draw up a lease?

Member since 2022 · 68 posts · 16 votes

Hello! I live in a home I purchased several years ago. I will be getting a roommate to help with my mortgage. Do I need to hire an attorney to create a lease agreement or can I just download one off the internet? If I can just download one off the internet, do you have any suggestions as to which website to use? 


Thank you!

1Reply
31 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 164 posts · 80 votes
    2y
    Quote from @David Yee:

    Hello! I live in a home I purchased several years ago. I will be getting a roommate to help with my mortgage. Do I need to hire an attorney to create a lease agreement or can I just download one off the internet? If I can just download one off the internet, do you have any suggestions as to which website to use? 


    Thank you!

    Attorneys are always the best route but I personally think that's not necessary. You can google California residential lease agreement and download one. The state should have one.
  • Jake AndronicoBusiness Member
    Realtor · Reno, NV · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 938 votes
    2y

    @David Yee

    I've house hacked two single family homes with roomates and out of the 4 different rent collection platforms I've tried, Turbotenant is by far the best in my opinion. 

    They also have template lease agreements for your specific state. 

    It does cost some money, but is definitely cheaper than hiring an attorney to draft the documents. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.