What does "air conditioning" mean on the Section 8 utility allowance sheet?

What does "air conditioning" mean on the Section 8 utility allowance sheet?

Rental Property Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2023 · 128 posts · 124 votes
I have a couple of rentals with central AC that I rent and am planning to rent to section 8 tenants. I noticed on the utility allowance sheet that there was a line item for "air conditioning" which required to be specified as being paid for either by the landlord or the tenant. The tenant is responsible for electricity, which is specified as a different line item.

My question is, how do I answer this? Is this question more geared towards window units? If I were to provide window units, it seems I should write "landlord." So, with that line of thinking, I'm guessing I should also put "Landlord" since I provided the central AC unit? Or is the question more geared towards an amount of electricity that is used to operate these items, in which case it would be "Tenant"?

I have no clue how to answer, and the housing authority never answers their phone and hardly returns calls half the time since they're so swamped, so I'm wondering if anyone else might have a clue while I continue to wait to hear back from them.
0Reply
68 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    @Alex L.  got to love a government form.... Provide vs pay for is apples and oranges. looks like you are indicating the tenant will provide fridge, range, microwave they are in the provided by section. Looks like AC is in the paid by section. To me I would put tenant because the cost is by them and nothing else in that section is an appliance. I haven't done this form though. I get how you could see it as if you pay for the unit or not but then I would expect it would be down with the fridge. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2023 · 128 posts · 124 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Colleen F.:

    @Alex L.  got to love a government form.... Provide vs pay for is apples and oranges. looks like you are indicating the tenant will provide fridge, range, microwave they are in the provided by section. Looks like AC is in the paid by section. To me I would put tenant because the cost is by them and nothing else in that section is an appliance. I haven't done this form though. I get how you could see it as if you pay for the unit or not but then I would expect it would be down with the fridge. 


    That makes sense, I appreciate your input!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.