Rental Property Investor · West Orange, NJ · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 4 votes
Hello everyone, I'm looking for a landlord management software that integrates maintenance coordination. I know Rentredi offers this service, therefore I'm still considering it despite the conflicting ratings. Is there any software that already has maintenance coordination built in? not just monitoring maintenance requests but also having the ability to send out contractors in specific circumstances.
Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2024 · 129 posts · 36 votes
3mo
Maintenance coordination is the feature that separates "rent collection tools" from actual property management systems. Most free platforms give you a tenant portal where requests come in, but then you're still texting your handyman separately and tracking status in your head.
What I actually need from maintenance software:
Tenant submits with photos (not just a text description — photos save arguments later).
I can assign the issue to a vendor and the vendor gets notified.
There's a timeline of what happened and when — date submitted, date assigned, date completed.
Everything is documented if there's ever a dispute about habitability or deposit deductions.
That last point is the one most landlords don't think about until they're in a security deposit fight. In California, if a tenant challenges your deductions, having timestamped photos and a clear maintenance history is the difference between keeping $2,000 and writing a check.
I used to track everything in a spreadsheet with a Google Drive folder of photos. It worked for 2 units. At 4+ units it became a nightmare trying to find the right photo for the right unit for the right issue.
What's your current system? Are you tracking inside the software, or is the actual coordination still happening by text and phone?