Pasco County Florida eviction of a paying tenant ?

Pasco County Florida eviction of a paying tenant ?

Wholesaler · Holiday, FL · Member since 2013 · 571 posts · 221 votes

I have never wanted to evict a tenant for anything other than non-payment of rent. And every court document that I have seen appears to assume that this will be the sole reason for evicting someone.

I now have a house with a tenant that I do not like. The previous owner rented to this tenant at about half the going rent with some casual verbal agreement in place that the tenant would be doing repairs and/or upgrades to the property.

When I got the place there was six months left to run on the lease. The six months have passed and the lease terms reverted to month-to-month. In those six months the tenant has never once paid the rent on time. The house needs a number of things done in order to make me happy and many of them cannot be done with a tenant living there.

Is the eviction procedure the same for "I just want you out" as it is for "you haven't paid the rent"? And if so; what is the 'three day notice' demand for? All the forms I've seen are based on demanding back rent or possession.

I have thought about just doubling the rent but then there is the risk that he will just pay it. <g>

What say you Florida People? How would you go about it?

0Reply
33 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    12y

    Don't know all the procedures, but the first step is to give minimum 30 days notice, prior to the first day of a month (ie. the earliest you can terminate today would be April 1st) that you are terminating the month to month lease. I believe, but am not certain, if he pays March rent, you couldn't start eviction until his lease is over, April 1. Others may know better, I don't do land lording.

  • Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    It's reasonable to give the tenant 60 days to return the premises. 30 days may be allowable but not compasionate. Check your State laws, I bet they call for 60 days for this situation.

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Washington State allows the landlord to give a tenant a 20-day Notice to Terminate (no cause required) prior to the end of the rental period. Of course, the tenant is also given the option to give the landlord a mere 20-day Notice to Vacate when they decide they want to move out of the property. Is there any other state that allows such a short time?

  • Wholesaler · Holiday, FL · Member since 2013 · 571 posts · 221 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Al Williamson:


    It's reasonable to give the tenant 60 days to return the premises. 30 days may be allowable but not compasionate. Check your State laws, I bet they call for 60 days for this situation.


  • Chandler, AZ · Member since 2013 · 113 posts · 25 votes
    12y

    As everyone said, no need to waste money and time on eviction at this time. Since this is month-to-month, just give 30 days or 60 days notice per local law. If the tenant refuses to leave after the notice, then you need to start the eviction or call the cop, again depending on local law.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.