What to watch out for? Rural rental, N. CA.

What to watch out for? Rural rental, N. CA.

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 79 posts · 27 votes

My 94-year-old dad has a rental outside of Sacramento. Small town, in the country, 2/1 on one acre.  My sister and I have delt with it but different opinions on how to manage it so it's now 95% my sister.  The tenant has been a problem from the beginning, such as behind in rent for a year, buys a brand-new Jeep, lies about ex-husbands job, child support, court cases, etc...

Now, the house needs a new deck, so I went up to inspect it. I found that the tenant has turned the property into a small farm. multiple pens set up with at least one pig, 4 or 5 goats, more chickens and ducks than you can count. The garage was open about 2 feet and had a screen in front of it so I imagine there's animals in there too.  In addition, there is an above ground pool, maybe 3 to 4' deep. The tenant never asked permission for any of this. I have rentals in TN and one tenant put up a pool and our insurance cancelled us till we had the PM get them to take it down.  We also have a "no pet" policy were a couple tenants brought in pets that caused issues. 

My sister did not want to get rid of the tenant because she was afraid, we would get "a bad person in". I've talked to my dad multiple times about the pool and animals, but he doesn't seem too concerned. My sister doesn't think anything I say is true. What are the liabilities? Thanks for any information. 

1Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Rocklin, CA · Member since 2020 · 221 posts · 82 votes
2y

@Bob Beach Oh I thought you didn't have any evidence. I'm glad you took the pictures. I think the main question is how to convince your sister and father. I guess maybe they don't care.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Rocklin, CA · Member since 2020 · 221 posts · 82 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bob Beach:

    My 94-year-old dad has a rental outside of Sacramento. Small town, in the country, 2/1 on one acre.  My sister and I have delt with it but different opinions on how to manage it so it's now 95% my sister.  The tenant has been a problem from the beginning, such as behind in rent for a year, buys a brand-new Jeep, lies about ex-husbands job, child support, court cases, etc...

    Now, the house needs a new deck, so I went up to inspect it. I found that the tenant has turned the property into a small farm. multiple pens set up with at least one pig, 4 or 5 goats, more chickens and ducks than you can count. The garage was open about 2 feet and had a screen in front of it so I imagine there's animals in there too.  In addition, there is an above ground pool, maybe 3 to 4' deep. The tenant never asked permission for any of this. I have rentals in TN and one tenant put up a pool and our insurance cancelled us till we had the PM get them to take it down.  We also have a "no pet" policy were a couple tenants brought in pets that caused issues. 

    My sister did not want to get rid of the tenant because she was afraid, we would get "a bad person in". I've talked to my dad multiple times about the pool and animals, but he doesn't seem too concerned. My sister doesn't think anything I say is true. What are the liabilities? Thanks for any information. 

    Why didn’t you take pictures when you visited last time? Everyone you visit take pictures with date/time stamp. 
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 79 posts · 27 votes
    2y
    Why didn’t you take pictures when you visited last time? Everyone you visit take pictures with date/time stamp. 
    I took many photos and videos of "EVERYTHING".
    When I said, my sister doesn't believe anything I say is true, to expand on that. She thinks I have poor judgement. She says my dad has poor judgment. And he usually agrees with me, then gives in to her. 
      This is why I'm concerned about, what to watch out for.
    Thanks for the comment. Helps me clarify. 
  • Real Estate Broker · Rocklin, CA · Member since 2020 · 221 posts · 82 votes
    2y

    @Bob Beach Oh I thought you didn't have any evidence. I'm glad you took the pictures. I think the main question is how to convince your sister and father. I guess maybe they don't care.

  • Scott ScovilleBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2019 · 497 posts · 272 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bob Beach:

    My 94-year-old dad has a rental outside of Sacramento. Small town, in the country, 2/1 on one acre.  My sister and I have delt with it but different opinions on how to manage it so it's now 95% my sister.  The tenant has been a problem from the beginning, such as behind in rent for a year, buys a brand-new Jeep, lies about ex-husbands job, child support, court cases, etc...

    Now, the house needs a new deck, so I went up to inspect it. I found that the tenant has turned the property into a small farm. multiple pens set up with at least one pig, 4 or 5 goats, more chickens and ducks than you can count. The garage was open about 2 feet and had a screen in front of it so I imagine there's animals in there too.  In addition, there is an above ground pool, maybe 3 to 4' deep. The tenant never asked permission for any of this. I have rentals in TN and one tenant put up a pool and our insurance cancelled us till we had the PM get them to take it down.  We also have a "no pet" policy were a couple tenants brought in pets that caused issues. 

    My sister did not want to get rid of the tenant because she was afraid, we would get "a bad person in". I've talked to my dad multiple times about the pool and animals, but he doesn't seem too concerned. My sister doesn't think anything I say is true. What are the liabilities? Thanks for any information. 


    Hey Bob, sounds like a frustrating situation. I'm an investor in Sacramento and manage all of my properties personally. I'd be happy to jump on a call if you'd like some advice.

    Scoville Realty & Investments LLC
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.