Landlords... What Would You Do?

Landlords... What Would You Do?

Real Estate Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2008 · 193 posts · 46 votes

So I have a situation that will be fun to play out over the next few days, but interested to see what other landlords would do.

Tenants contacted us last week because their lights were dimming. Had an electrition go out, he reviewed the panel and replaced a circuit breaker. Tonight (Saturday night) the tenants contact us again about the light dimming issue. We had our electrical supplier come out. They turned off the power to the property (for safety issues) due to a burnt lug. They said they can not turn on the power until an electrition takes care of the problem.

So we are working on getting an electriction out to the property, but it is difficult to get a response on a Saturday night. One tenant called pretty upset because he has several hundred dollars worth of meat in a chest freezer that he does not want to go back. I told him that we were working to get the issue fixed, but recommended he either borrow a generator from a friend or go and put several bags of ice in the freezer until it gets fixed.

Hopefully we can get the issue resolved quickly, but I'm curious to hear what other landlords would do in this situation.

0Reply
66 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Peachtree Corners, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y

I'd fire the electrician who replaced the circuit breaker and get a spell check program:).

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Buffalo, N · Member since 2013 · 59 posts · 46 votes
    12y

    This happened at one of my properties once where the electric had to be turned off for safety reasons (water was seeping in on the service board). I had to have the service updated and by the time I secured the electrician and he performed the work, it was 48 hours.

    The first thing I did was immediately offer my tenant a hotel room (it was right before Christmas) although they declined and stayed with family, I was prepared to put them up.

    The 2nd thing I did was offer the neighbor money to plug my tenants fridge into a heavy duty exterior extension cord through his garage. The neighbor was happy to help and took no money.

    Maybe you can ask a neighbor for help preserving their food?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.