Eviction time in Cook County

Eviction time in Cook County

Oak Park, IL · Member since 2014 · 285 posts · 114 votes

Would any of you please share how much time it took you to evict a tenant in (Cook County of other Places) after giving a five day notice? I have started eviction of a tenant on February 11th and the case is still lingering on in the courts.

0Reply
130 views

42 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Atul, yes try to collect. Since you were able to get a money judgment, you can now garnish his wages. Haven't done this personally but work with a collection agency so you can do this. Let us know how this goes.

    This is the reason I don't buy in "Crook" county as well.

  • Oak Park, IL · Member since 2014 · 285 posts · 114 votes
    12y

    Thanks Wendall. I am definately going to try to collect. Three month eviction in Cook County especially when a tenant hires a lawyer is not bad. My loss is higher because rent was $2150 per month.

  • Investor · Aurora, IL · Member since 2012 · 38 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    I just found out that Sheriff is coming this Thursday to evict my tenant. Finally so great news. It took 3 months to evict the tenant.

  • Calumet City, IL · Member since 2014 · 312 posts · 49 votes
    12y

    @Atul Mohlajee

    Yes definitely take Wendell's advice and go for the garnishment. My lawyer told me that you have to "post" a garnishment for 8 weeks at a time. I don't know how that factor's in with a collection agency but I would definitely go after the garnishment since you know he has a job.

    @Jose Perez

    Great news, My question is how did you find out? Did the sheriff contact you? My lawyer said they watch "the list" from the Sheriff's office every day so they will know when my eviction comes up.

    However yesterday I get a call from another tenant in my building saying the sheriff was at the apartment of the tenants I am evicting but no one answered the door. I don't understand this as they (my tenants) have already been served and we have already been to court. My lawyer says the sheriff could have been there for another reason, but I still don't quite understand why.

  • Flipper / Rehabber / Real Estate Investor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 392 posts · 77 votes
    12y

    In my case the sheriff contacted my attorney the day before and then my attorney contacted me. You have to have someone at the property that will approach the sheriff in their car or else they reportedly won't even get out. And if you miss them you'll have to reschedule.

    Good luck

  • Investor · Aurora, IL · Member since 2012 · 38 posts · 4 votes
    12y
  • Calumet City, IL · Member since 2014 · 312 posts · 49 votes
    12y

    I just got a call that I am under citation for excessive trash in the alley. Yes of course this is from the tenants being evicted. And someone set two of my trash cans on fire last week. I have a police report to prove it so maybe they will give me a break.

    @Jose Perez

    can you post a link to the list?

  • Oak Park, IL · Member since 2014 · 285 posts · 114 votes
    12y

    I got possession of the house yesterday and a judgment of $5500. Went in and it is lots of garbage. Need all house painted because his kids wrote on walls. Doing all hardwood floor from carpets because carpets are too dirty to be recognized or cleaned. I came to know that he was subletting basement and extra bedroom to others after his wife left him and he was fired from his job about 6 months ago. I have 2800 security but would not file additional charges as it is not worth it. I need to pay 6 months of water bill. He moved out in late March but did not give possession. It all took three months which is not bad for Cook County.

  • Investor · Aurora, IL · Member since 2012 · 38 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    so today I finally took possession of the unit. The sheriff had to kicked in the door. I'm just glad is over. Now to start remodeling and rent the unit ASAP

  • Calumet City, IL · Member since 2014 · 312 posts · 49 votes
    12y

    @Jose Perez

    Congrats!

    Why did the sheriff have to kick the door in? Were you not there to unlock the door for the Sheriff? The last thing I need is a kicked in door that will cost me more money.

  • Investor · Aurora, IL · Member since 2012 · 38 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    @Jarrett Harris we didn't have the key at that time. That's why they kicked in the door

  • Oak Park, IL · Member since 2014 · 285 posts · 114 votes
    12y

    In Cook County, is it possible to file eviction after you have filed a 5 day notice and they have made a partial payment only?

  • Calumet City, IL · Member since 2014 · 312 posts · 49 votes
    12y

    @Atul Mohlajee

    Is you question, can you file for eviction due to the tenant only making partial payments, or is your question can you accept a partial payment after filing the eviction?

  • Summit , IL · Member since 2012 · 6 posts · 20 votes
    12y

    If your question is can you file for an eviction if the tenant made a partial payment during or after the 5 day notice period, there is no clear answer. Most 5 day notices have some wording along the lines of "Only full payment will prevent an eviction." But, if the tenant in court says that they made the partial payment in agreement with you not evicting her, some judges will believe the tenant and dismiss the case, with the reasoning of why would a tenant pay if they were going to get kicked out anyway. So you have to determine for yourself on a case by case basis whether to accept partial payment, and take into consideration the dollar amount, how behind on rent are they, do you care about the money or do you just want them out, etc.

  • Oak Park, IL · Member since 2014 · 285 posts · 114 votes
    12y

    My question is Can you file for eviction due to the tenant only making partial payments?

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y

    I'm supposed to be out December 27th 2016 and I'm trying to figure out how much time I have before the sheriff actually do show up because I have 8 kids two with special needs and I don't want them to have to go through that I'm trying to figure out like how long would it take them to before they come out are they going to come out tomorrow on the 27th or do I still have a little more time

  • Willowbrook IL · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    What do you have to do with the tenants personal property inside the unit after the eviction?  Do you need movers there with the sheriff shows up and do you have to put it on the curb right away or can you make arrangements

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.