Do I supply AC Window Units?

Do I supply AC Window Units?

Investor · Chesterfield, VA · Member since 2014 · 93 posts · 11 votes

Im looking at an older property to buy in my area. The unit uses oil heat which I am not thrilled about but its not a deal killer for me. But no central air means I need some sort of AC in the house during the summer (Im in Virginia so it does get hot). Do tenants usually supply their own window units or should I buy them?

I never bought a house that didn't have central air so this is new to me.

Much thanks!!!!

0Reply
87 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 708 votes
12y

@John Nisewonger : I'm a little farther South than you, so it's even a bigger issue for me. I would seriously consider putting in central HVAC or a ductless mini-HVAC system (google: Misubishi Ductless Air-conditioning), unless this is a really low-end rental. Most folks simply expect AC these days (at least in our neck of the woods). That said, if you decide against putting in a permanent solution, I would NOT supply window units.

As @Steve Babiak points out: cheap enough for the tenant to buy themselves, and too finicky for you to maintain.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2012 · 20 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    Vinyl windows seem to take a beating from a/c installations. The vinyl at the base of the window tend to break as the windows age. Placing the units is the wall prevents this damage. Wiring for the less powerful units requires 14/2.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.