Oxford, MS · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 0 votes
I live in a rental that was built in '82 (or at least that's as far back as the deeds go on the county appraisal website). Anyway, the upstairs bathtub has started leaking into the laundry room below, and there's a small hole in the ceiling. The house has acoustic ceilings and since I'm buying a house now, I am familiar with the fact that there may be asbestos in the popcorn ceiling. Even though the manufacture of asbestos was banned in like '78, they continued to use it. The landlord is telling me the house isn't old enough for asbestos and I doubt they will test for it because their "handyman" says they don't need to. What options do I have? What if I test it myself and it comes back positive? I have a young child and I'm terrified of her being exposed to something like that.
Investor · Colorado Springs CO · Member since 2014 · 535 posts · 253 votes
12y
I don't know if they are required to legally, but I sure wouldn't worry about a one-time exposure from a small ceiling repair. I'm willing to be we all get much more asbestos exposure on a daily basis from the brake dust that comes from cars. We're constantly exposed to "hazardous" materials, even in our drinking water, it only matters if there is a significant quantity for a significant amount of time.
Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 54 posts · 11 votes
12y
I'm not an expert, but as-best-os I know, there shouldn't be any danger.
Just stay out of the room while they're prepping the hole and there is construction dust floating around. If you're really concerned, ask them to wipe down the walls with a damp cloth and vacuum afterwards.
Oxford, MS · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 0 votes
12y
I went ahead and sent off a sample myself to be tested because frankly I don't trust the landlord as far as I can throw him. Never had a good landlord, which is why I'm buying now. We'll see what happens.