Unable to obtain landlord insurance for SFR

Unable to obtain landlord insurance for SFR

Southern CA · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes

I have been unable to find any companies writing new policies for landlord insurance for an SFR (for long term rental). That includes admitted and non-admitted carriers. I have contacted multiple local and national brokers. There was 2 online companies that gave me quotes a few months ago prior to the big fires in LA but now both are not offering policies. There has been no rejections due to the property type/ condition. It seems to be anything in the county or state.

I currently have a homeowners policy but I am in the process of moving out of the property. If I can't obtain landlord insurance I am considering selling the property which I have worked very hard to obtain and remodel. 

Is there any alternative to a landlord insurance or advice from others that have dealt with being unable to get a property insured?

Thanks

0Reply
31 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · North Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Si Schafer

    Have you enlisted the services of any independent insurance agent? I have found that working with independent agents is the easiest way to find insurance for difficult properties.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y

    Contact your current carrier and ask to switch it to a landlord policy. They may do it (possibly legally required) since they already have the risk on their books.

    The CA Fair plan offers landlord insurance.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.