Should I rent my condo to immigrant tenants with HomeBASE support?

Should I rent my condo to immigrant tenants with HomeBASE support?

Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes

I have a rental condo in Quincy MA. I have a family interested in the unit with the support of HomeBASE (70%) and a charity org. The parents both work but speak little English. I want to rent them since I want to help them and they have some support (guaranteed rent to 70%) but I don't if I can communicate with them and how well they can blend in. They now live in a shelter.

Did anyone have a similar experience to share?

Thanks!

0Reply
25 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Nima Bahrehdar:

    I have a rental condo in Quincy MA. I have a family interested in the unit with the support of HomeBASE (70%) and a charity org. The parents both work but speak little English. I want to rent them since I want to help them and they have some support (guaranteed rent to 70%) but I don't if I can communicate with them and how well they can blend in. They now live in a shelter.

    Did anyone have a similar experience to share?

    Thanks!

    You didn't specify whether this prospect was an illegal immigrant, or just an immigrant.  The former comes with additional risks I will not discuss below.

    Regarding the language, I would first check with your jurisdiction, because here in NY all notices and documents have to be issued in the tenant's native language. 

    If you are not fluent, and your municipality requires this, this will slow down any official communication you need to issue, which may causes challenges for you to meet statutory timelines. 

    Needless to say,  this is also an additional business expense you will bear.

    If the above is acceptable to you and you've done your legal research to see what else is required, run your business how you'd like with eyes wide open.

  • Warren LizoBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 14 votes
    1y

    Hi Nima,

    Google Translate is incredible! You can easily have a conversation with a person speaking a different language entirely. So long as they are willing to communicate with you (a baseline for ANY tenant) you can have a productive relationship. 

    HomeBase is a tricky program  make sure you understand it- the application process, inspection process, the renewal process, and how long the contract lasts  It qualifies as Housing Assistance so you can not discriminate against it as a source of income. Apply the same rental screening criteria as you do all other applicants  

    also, the use of the phrase "blend in" could be construed as a Fair Housing issue  There are A LOT of laws for landlording now, especially in Massachusetts, that can easily and detrimentally nail an unaware landlord. 

    if you have any questions, feel free to give me a call  We have property management clients throughout Quincy and I'm happy to just have an informative conversation with you  

    PropertyCraft Management518 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.