Dishwashers- are they needed?

Dishwashers- are they needed?

Member since 2021 · 88 posts · 20 votes

So, I am in the process of selling one of my rentals which should give me some cash to make more deals happen. It got me thinking about how I would optimize new rentals that I acquire or build. I have had problems with the dishwashers in each of my rentals, having caused  some damage, needing replacement and causing complaints. It got me wondering "Is it even worth it to to have a dishwasher?" It seems like one of the most high risk, high maintenance items to have in a rental property. Considering that they can leak and ruin cabinets, if your unit is two stories the upstairs dishwasher could cause water damage to the below unit. Any thoughts on this? Is there a way to be more profitable by skipping dishwashers and designing cabinet layouts without them? Or is a dishwasher needed to really get good rents and I/m missing something?

1Reply
183 views

Most Popular Reply

Greg ScottPro Member
Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
1y

I don't understand why your dishwashers are causing such problems.  We don't experience the issues you were describing.  Were they installed correctly?

As a source of water problems I would put them behind roofs, sewer lines, washing machines, plumbing leaks of various kinds and stupid resident decisions (Why do I have to use a shower curtain?)

As something that needs replacing regularly, I would put microwaves at the top. (What do you mean I can't just put a can of soup in the microwave to heat it up?) HVACs are probably the biggest single work order item. We replace as needed, but sometimes it just needs maintenance or the resident is being unreasonable. (Why can't I keep my heat at 85 degrees when it is 10 degrees outside.)

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.